Wont let me reinstall

I tried deleting duplicati to reinstall but to no success, now I get this error (Failed to connect: missing-folder) the tutorial on uninstalling on ubuntu didnt work

Welcome to the forum @the1

Why? Was there a problem?

When and where?

Where?

1 Like

Yes, there was a problem, thereā€™s a guide on this site though but it didnā€™t work. Do you know how to reinstall with ubuntu? I got the error message when trying to configure a backup.

How complete a delete are you trying? Just the installed program, all configuration, all backups, etc?

Completely remove duplicati is one guess at what you did, but I need you to say what you want to do.

Please describe.

If you have a title or URL, please post. If not, what did you do?

Did you see uninstall not work, or was all OK until:

I see three problem descriptions, quoted below. Is this one problem or many? Please say what you can.

ā€œuninstalling on ubuntu didnt workā€
ā€œWont let me reinstallā€
ā€œtrying to configure a backupā€

On that last one, the forum has no prior reports of

when trying to configure a backup. GitHub has one on Amazon Cloud Drive (now gone), described as
"it asks me to create the folder. I say yes and I always get the error ā€œFailed to connect: missing-folderā€

is above like what you did and got? If so, what storage type is the destination? If not, what did you do?

1 Like

No, itā€™s not like that, the main issue is the reinstall, Iā€™ve had duplicati for a few days and itā€™s now messed up, I deleted it, deleted the updates file and tried to reinstall but it didnā€™t work.

How did it fail? If it didnā€™t work at the reinstall step, you could never have gotten to configure a backup.

So Iā€™m guessing you have no backups of value, and wish to start over, but I donā€™t know, so canā€™t guide.

I wonder if you installed 2.0.5.1 just before 2.0.6.1 came out?

1 Like

I configured a backup but have no backups of value, I followed this guide Use Duplicati to Back Up Files on Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint
I ran all the commands and when it came to reinstall, NOPE not working.2.0.5.1-1_all.deb is the version, yes.

How so? What action did it fail on? How did it fail? How did you manage to get it up to configure anyway?

1 Like

I got no fail message til I tried to install again and it didnt work since itā€™s already there, I reinstalled because it was being glitchy

Something like the below? The line is what the guide calls for.

$ sudo apt install ./duplicati_2.0.5.1-1_all.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'duplicati' instead of './duplicati_2.0.5.1-1_all.deb'
duplicati is already the newest version (2.0.5.1-1).

Iā€™d like to know what ā€œglitchyā€ means. Itā€™s quite possible itā€™s not an install issue, but one thing at a timeā€¦

1 Like

Rn its broken anyway because I tried to reinstall, yes, thatā€™s what it shows when I try install after deleting everything

Do you recall how you deleted everything, or have a web page? You spoke earlier of something in forum?

1 Like

Doing dpkg -r duplicati as root uninstalled duplicati here. If not root, you must run it under sudo.
After remove, sudo apt install ./duplicati_2.0.5.1-1_all.deb ran. Can you retry remove?
One sign of removal is that /usr/lib/duplicati empties out and vanishes. That was the base install.

1 Like

after running, I get this Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file ā€˜/root/duplicati_2.0.5.1-1_all.debā€™ couldnā€™t be accessed by user ā€˜_aptā€™. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)

even with root or sudo

After running what? That looks like apt. Did the dpkg removal work, then apt install failed that way?
I am not an expert in apt errors, but see Download performed unsandboxed for a possible explanation.
That post says that itā€™s just a warning. Did you find dpkg removed /usr/lib/duplicati, then apt put it back?

Regardless, Iā€™m not seeing the error, but maybe itā€™s a different Ubuntu. Iā€™m testing this on Xubuntu 20.10.

EDIT:
If analysis at that link is right, your directory and file permissions donā€™t let all readers in. ls -ld will help.
Maybe you can avoid the warning by moving the file to be installed to a very open directory, maybe /tmp.

1 Like

I got past this and now the new error is when I run systemctl status duplicati
at Duplicati.Server.Database.ServerSettings.SaveSettings () [0x00030] in <87f95256fc6a4c3ea353de8d2a> at Duplicati.Server.Database.ServerSettings.set_LastUpdateCheck (System.DateTime value) [0x00049] in> at Duplicati.Server.UpdatePollThread.Run () [0x000eb] in <87f95256fc6a4c3ea353de8d2aacf89b>:0
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context (System.Object state) [0x00017] in <12b418a7818> at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext> at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System> at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System> at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart () [0x0000b] in <12b418a7818c4ca0893feeaaf67f1e7f>:0
duplicati.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
duplicati.service: Failed with result ā€˜exit-codeā€™.

Unless you actually started Duplicati, it might be the old error. The command shows previous logs, e.g.:

$ sudo systemctl status duplicati
ā— duplicati.service - Duplicati web-server
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/duplicati.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)

May 10 16:46:47 my-VirtualBox systemd[1]: Started Duplicati web-server.
May 10 16:52:20 my-VirtualBox systemd[1]: Stopping Duplicati web-server...
May 10 16:52:20 my-VirtualBox systemd[1]: duplicati.service: Killing process 92471 (Timer-Scheduler) with signal SIGKILL.
May 10 16:52:20 my-VirtualBox systemd[1]: duplicati.service: Succeeded.
May 10 16:52:20 my-VirtualBox systemd[1]: Stopped Duplicati web-server.

Reference: What does systemctl with status command? [closed]

How about you try getting more of the log with timestamps, maybe

$ journalctl --unit=duplicati.service
-- Logs begin at Mon 2021-01-18 19:31:26 EST, end at Mon 2021-05-10 16:52:34 EDT. --
May 10 16:46:47 my-VirtualBox systemd[1]: Started Duplicati web-server.
May 10 16:52:20 my-VirtualBox systemd[1]: Stopping Duplicati web-server...
May 10 16:52:20 my-VirtualBox systemd[1]: duplicati.service: Killing process 92471 (Timer-Scheduler) with signal SIGKILL.
May 10 16:52:20 my-VirtualBox systemd[1]: duplicati.service: Succeeded.
May 10 16:52:20 my-VirtualBox systemd[1]: Stopped Duplicati web-server.

partly because the default 10 lines of status output from the log have chopped off the actual error ending.
Still, I see some things in the visible lines that I canā€™t find reported in the Duplicati forum or GitHub before.

What Ubuntu version is this?

What does running mono --version say? It must say at least 5 for Duplicati 2.0.5.1, 2.0.6.1 needs 5.10.

1 Like

Ubuntu 20.04
When trying to start I get Failed to start duplicati.service: Unit duplicati.service not found.
But thats what it said in status.