Dependency installation problem with libappindicator on Debian Bookworm

I’m trying to install duplicati_2.0.6.3-1_all.deb on Debian Bookworm. I’ve followed the instructions in both the manual and on the forum.

I then try to install with sudo apt install ./duplicati_2.0.6.3-1_all.deb but run into:

sudo apt install ./duplicati_2.0.6.3-1_all.deb 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'duplicati' instead of './duplicati_2.0.6.3-1_all.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 duplicati : Depends: libappindicator0.1-cil but it is not installable or
                      libappindicator3-0.1-cil but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Now, you might say “you’ve got the held broken packages” error, but running sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep hold shows no packages. Running a sudo apt autoremove has already removed unused packages. I can install other packages without a problem and without getting that held broken packages" error.

I don’t know what to do next. Perhaps this dependency is a “nice to have” on an Ubuntu installation with a GUI, but I’m trying to switch from Ubuntu to Debian without running a desktop manager on a new system that I’m building as a NAS.

Hello

this has nothing to do with a Gui. For testing purposes I am running Duplicati in a Ubuntu 20.04 container and obviously the libappindicator1 package does nothing in a container, it just satisfies dependencies.

The package has been removed from your distribution, so there is nothing you can do (short of installing lxc and running the current stable distribution in it)

Meaning no graphics at all? If so, you don’t need libappindicator* (which is for the tray icon).
The challenge will be persuading your install tools to forgive an omission. There seem to be
apt-get options to request this, but make sure that’s the extent of the missing dependencies.

-f, --fix-broken
-m, --ignore-missing, --fix-missing
look interesting, but I’m not an apt-get expert, so if you try this, please do some research…

Alternatively you can install by .zip I think. At least it seemed to work for someone recently:

Is it possible to install Duplicati without X11 and GTK dependencies?

Upcoming shift to Ayatana (App)Indicator(s) looks like part of their rationale behind migration.
This seems to be a messy area where one doesn’t know which indicator library to depend on.
Rip out libappindicator as it isn’t compatible with net5 changes Duplicati for far-future version.

made me wonder if it fixed the indicator headaches. I actually ran an artifact on Linux today.

./Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon
Warning: this build does not support GTK, rebuild with ENABLE_GTK defined

so maybe I can’t tell yet.

No graphics at all, I want to run this machine headless and manage it using SSH. Applications will be web based. I tried running apt, apt-get or aptitude with -f and -m but that didn’t work.

When I search with apt-cache search for the missing dependency I get results that point to Ayatana, but when I install those, the dependencies are not satisfied.

But, I went for a different solution. I plan to run Debian only as host OS and run as much as possible via Docker containers. I was used to having Duplicati installed on Ubuntu on my current (old) NAS. This does have a lightweight desktop manager installed but I only use that on very rare occasions with Xvnc. So with this new Debian based NAS, I tried a dockerized Duplicati and that works for me. It is possible to map the / of the host OS to the Duplicati container as the source.

So, actually my original question isn’t answered, I have found a working solution since I already planned to use as much Docker containers as possible. Even backup does so now :smile: That’s the reason I’ll mark this as the solution.

1 Like

Not solved as stated by the OP. I’m having this issue, too. Debian 12 (Bookworm) does not have libappindicator0.1-cil or libappindicator3-0.1-cil. Both of which duplicati_2.0.6.3-1_all.deb requires. As Debian is releasing 12/Bookworm in 2023-June, this will break Duplicati for every Debian user that is upgrading.

I’ve tried to install without the dependencies but have not had any luck. From what I can tell, these packages are for the system tray. Which I never needed or used or even had in Debian 11/Bullseye. I think these would be nice to haves for those with system trays, but shouldn’t be required.

Please see if Package: libayatana-appindicator1 lets you install.
Ayatana Indicators intends to replace that older library, I believe.

Release: 2.0.6.105 (canary) 2023-04-09

Allow install on Debian bookworm by using libayatana-appindicator1, thanks @gpatel-fr

allow install on Debian bookworm using libayatana-appindicator1 shim #4902
which gives some caveats on application indicators on this version of Debian,
however that shouldn’t bother you if your goal is to not use the feature at all…

worries me, but you can see from issue #4902 that its fixer believes it will work.
Results may vary though, so …

If you can install the Canary, that would be even better, but a Canary can be an
unknown quantity initially. This one seems to work OK unless you have macOS.
Downgrading to current Beta is difficult, but next Beta is hoped to emerge soon.

1 Like

libayatana-appindicator1 does indeed allow the installation to occur (v2.0.6.105-1). I did not try the 2.0.6.3-1 version.

Installed, backup created, running through one now. Everything seems in order, at least for my needs. Will come back if there any issue arises.

Thank you for the help!

1 Like