Jottacloud Error 401 (Unauthorized)

I’ve also added this to the chat wrt access failing to jfs.jottacloud.com (eding in a 401).

Hi All,

I just received this from Jottacloud regarding the Duplicati issue:

As a security measure, basic auth is no longer supported. Based on our search, that seems to be the issue for the customers using Duplicati.

You’re welcome to bring this forward to Duplicati.

1 Like

Wow. That simply isn’t enough imho. You can’t just disable features without at least mentioning that in advance. So now we all have to wait for Duplicati to make the change and live without backup for that whole time?

If I receive this answer from Jottacloud then this will be my answer: Please reenable the basic auth feature for now. If not, I’ll have no choice to stop using Jottacloud and start to upload my stuff into something like Wasabi :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks jf64. That’s a bit of a problem as even if Duplicati is updated, it will take quite a while to get the update out.

ErikZ: I feel the same. They don’t warn about these changes, and if I had known it was coming I would have migrated elsewhere and asked for a refund.

1 Like

Exactly. I’ll probably still ask for a refund for the remaining time, but uploading to a new location (2.5TB over 30mbit/s) will take quite some time and want to keep the backups in Jottacloud until that time. Maybe it is time for that Fiber-2-home upgrade and get sync up/down :wink:

Anyone know of any alternatives to Jottacloud? €96/year was pretty much unbeatable for unlimited/5TB storage.

I’ve already revisited my research I did back then. I think I’ll go for Wasabi, which is S3. I use Duplicati to backup a Synology, and S3 is covered by the backup solution delivered by Synology (which works very well). So I think for me personally I’ll say goodbye to both Jottacloud AND Duplicati.

Wasabi seems very expensive at $6/TB/month. That would be $360/year for equivalent of Jottacloud.

Hetzner is €11.78/month for 5TB. iDrive is $8.33/month for 5TB. Both supported by Duplicati.

Edit: rclone supports Duplicati with the CLI token which still works, so you can do a backup to a local disk and then sync it to Jottacloud with rclone. Not great but still.

Same reply here. Nonsense answer from JottaCloud IMHO. I’ll be moving to Slack (WebDAV compatible) who have comparable pricing, asap.

Oh, do you have a link for the Slack offer? I looked at their site and they only mentioned 10/20GB per user on the monthly tiers.

I already started transitioning to backblaze. Pricing is dynamic but based on the amount of data I’m backing up the price should be similar, and given they have blogged about Duplicati I feel lot more comfortable than using any kind of workaround with Jotta

Which Backblaze plan are you going with?

B2 cloud storage, works out at $5/TB/Month. I’m certain there are cheaper options out there but that works for me and I’m looking for something reliable

OIC – have you looked into this?
https://www.backblaze.com/backup-pricing.html

It looks like they have an unlimited plan as well.

For that you would need to use the Backblaze backup application.

Backblaze’s B2 offering is their general purpose cloud object storage which is compatible with Duplicati.

I have used both BackBlaze B2 and Wasabi and found them to be just as reliable as Amazon S3. All three work great with Duplicati.

Wasabi has no egress fees, but they do have a 90 day object minimum charge. B2 has no minimum object charge but they have egress fees.

Apologies for the typo, I meant Stack. Info here:
https://www.transip.nl/stack/

Already started to move data across.

1 Like

FYI possibly some users would use Jottacloud would prefer the Backblaze European data center.
I think Wasabi also has one. I don’t keep track of the big multinationals, but I’m sure they also do.

For any who have lots of data, are price-sensitive, are technical, and have a friend to help test this:

Announcement: syncosync - backup appliance

I wonder if they would say what they support? This is one risk of their not ever publishing their API.

Digest authentication might be not too hard to move to if they still do username and password auth.
If they went over completely to OAuth and Open ID Connect, that will likely be a more complex job.
Jottacloud is supported by rclone, and Duplicati can use a preconfigured Rclone to it, if it still works.

Feature Request: Support idrive.com as a backend #3678
Add IDrive Backend #4692
give me the same long-term worry, as there’s no telling what the storage service might do someday.
Jottacloud, at least, had its reverse-engineered origins based on founder’s directions and staff work.

A question to people here is whether to try to get Jottacloud back again? The answer might be TBD.
Regular developers are too scarce, but @albertony seems to specialize in the Jottacloud backend.
If there is no interest there, and if Jottacloud sticks to its position, then that’s likely its end of support.

So I’ve pretty much decided to move away from Jottacloud. Looking at pricing at competitors it would seem 5USD / TB / Mo is quite normal (and yes, more expensive than Jottacloud). Backblaze, Wasabi, Stack… They all seem to be at this pricepoint. Some may have EGRES prices though.

I am doubtful I’d find something cheaper for the 3TB I need. And if I do, chances are I’ll dive into another Jottacloud…

My understanding is that Jottacloud over a long period have been gradually moving over to Open ID Connect and dropping support for anything else.

I’ve been meaning to invest some time in the Jottacloud backend again, but I haven’t been working with Duplicati at all for quite a long time, neither as a user nor as a developer, and therefore it has never reached the top of my backlog… And, to be honest, it is not likely to do so for some months still, unfortunately.

I do have insight into rclone’s implementation of the Jottacloud backend, which works very well, and it shouldn't be too hard™ to port the relevant bits of it to Duplicati. The biggest unknown for me is how to handle the token refresh etc - to fit that into Duplicati’s code base. If someone else are willing to have a go at it, I would be more than willing to contribute with what I can.

4 Likes

That would probably require user interest (I asked) and a new developer, as current staff are stretched.

This helps though, so if anyone is interested, I guess they can contact you by forum, a PM, or whatever.

Thanks for your continued willingness to help out.