Jottacloud Error 401 (Unauthorized)

Can you login using the user_id in Jottacloud Web?

(Login w/ user id in the “Email” field should work, if not, contact support to retrieve (correct) user id)

Head --> Table
I did not even think about the possibility of user_id being wrong … embarrassing.

@nescafe - brilliant! I’ll contact support, do the testing again and update the thread.

Thanks

Michael

@nescafe, works like a charm now.
Looks like I had extracted “userId” instead of “user_id” from the html :man_facepalming:

Thanks a lot.

Michael

1 Like

I cannot connect to Jottacloud (Windows 7, 2.0.5.1_beta_2020-01-18) setting up a first backup to that service: failed to connect. User name or user_id making no difference. Seems like I am getting no connection to the server.

Please advice.

Request for http://localhost:8200/api/v1/remoteoperation/test gave error
System.Net.WebException: Die Verbindung mit dem Remoteserver kann nicht hergestellt werden. —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Ein Verbindungsversuch ist fehlgeschlagen, da die Gegenstelle nach einer bestimmten Zeitspanne nicht richtig reagiert hat, oder die hergestellte Verbindung war fehlerhaft, da der verbundene Host nicht reagiert hat 185.179.130.30:443 bei System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalEndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult) bei System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult) bei System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception) — Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung — bei Duplicati.Library.Utility.AsyncHttpRequest.AsyncWrapper.GetResponseOrStream() bei Duplicati.Library.Utility.AsyncHttpRequest.GetResponse() bei Duplicati.Library.Utility.AsyncHttpRequest.GetResponseStream() bei Duplicati.Library.Backend.Jottacloud.d__33.MoveNext() bei Duplicati.Library.Interface.BackendExtensions.TestList(IBackend backend) bei Duplicati.Server.WebServer.RESTMethods.RemoteOperation.TestConnection(String url, RequestInfo info) bei Duplicati.Server.WebServer.RESTHandler.DoProcess(RequestInfo info, String method, String module, String key)

Reporting error gave error

System.ObjectDisposedException: In einen geschlossenen TextWriter kann nicht geschrieben werden. bei System.IO.__Error.WriterClosed() bei System.IO.StreamWriter.Flush(Boolean flushStream, Boolean flushEncoder) bei Duplicati.Server.WebServer.RESTHandler.DoProcess(RequestInfo info, String method, String module, String key)

I can ping the given address 185.179.130.30 from the command line.

Sorry, I cannot give you an answer, just wanted to add that I have also tried connecting to Jottacloud and I have not been able to make it work.

Jottacloud officially does not support 3rd party connections. I have tried with app token password, and actual password, to no avail. I have tried the user_id as people mentioned earlier in this thread, as well as my username.

Furthermore, I have some requirement: It has to work with Jotta’s 2FA enabled.

As a workaround I have created a local backup with Duplicati that I back up using Jotta’s CLI for Linux. Too bad Jotta does not do encryption end-to-end, if so I could skip going via Duplicati. My workaround works, but is not ideal.

1 Like

Thank you for confirming. Seems like I wasn’t making mistakes. Uploading local backups to their server is not an option for me, as I am looking for a way to backup larger amounts of data.

Jotta would have been cheap option for 5TB of storage. So I have to keep on searching.

I do not trust any proprietary client to really not peek into my stuff (or let some intetlligence service do that). Even if they allow you to use your own private encryption key. As far as I know, none of those services has been independently audited.

I’m not experiencing any issues with Jottacloud (created my account in March 2019). I’m not using 2FA, but in August 2019 I did have to switch to using the user_id.

Probably unrelated to the OP’s problem but I noticed that there are limits on the password you can set for your Jottacloud account. Initially I tried a 64 character password with various symbols and it didn’t work. Reducing to 32 characters and removing some of the symbols fixed it.

FWIW I couldn’t log in via the web interface with the long password either!

Interesting…
Do you use your account password, or a so-called “personal login-token”?

Also, what do you set the Folder path to?
Say that you have “backup” and “archive” with subfolders under jottacloud “Files”. Do you specify /backup/something? Then is “someting” a human readable name, or the id that appears when you view it in a browser (e.g. backup/!2fc49ab0-d76-48c0-a9bd-490547385e88/)? Or something else?

Using the user_id and password to login to Jottacloud in Duplicati still works, but couldn’t find the user_id on the user settings page.
Instead, I found it in the source code on the overview page.

Thanks for the help

1 Like

I’m getting this problem today. Using the user_id and my password doesn’t work any more, at least not with Duplicati. I can log in to the web interface just fine.

1 Like

I am also encountering this issue today. Worked with user_id before, I can sign into Jottacloud web using user_id, but my Duplicati backup jobs fail.

1 Like

Thanks for that mtjoernelund, it confirms that it’s probably a change on their end.

I emailed support, waiting to hear back.

Same thing here. Backup jobs ran yesterday ; since today morning they keep failing with “Error 401” (from 2 different Duplicati beta versions - the 1st runs on my physical NAS, the 2nd one runs in Docker).

Can confirm the issue as well - while until yesterday it worked for me fine, with all the workarounds I mentioned above.

They seem to implement some CLI one-time token, that you can generate in security settings at Jottacloud , but no idea how it shall work with duplicate and haven’t received any communication from Jotta about service-breaking changes. But haven’t received those even with former change, so guess it’s the way how they operate.

I can confirm this issue as well. For me the first backup to fail was on 23/03/2022 23:00PM CET. All backups after that failed as well with the 401 error. I verified the user_id, the webpage source still shows my correct user_id.

Sent a message to Jottacloud support as well, my guess is they will be busy after “that one change” they made.

I hope they can restore this functionality soon as restores fail as well with the 401 error. Luckily you should be able to manually download backup files and run a restore from local.

EDIT: Interestingly you can still authenticate on jottacloud.com using the user_id, it is just Duplicati who fails to do so it seems.

Same issue for me too. Backups have been working fine using my user_id for the last few years, and failed with a 401 last night. Manually visiting https://jfs.jottacloud.com/jfs/[devicename] in a browser also fails when you enter the correct credentials

2 Likes

Same issue here with JottaCloud authentication…

I have passed that on, thanks.