[bug] Download -> Activate -> crash

There seems to be something wrong with the windows auto-update mechanics (or maybe it’s just me).

On 2 different machines now, when I elect “canary build” for the auto update channel, then proceed to install the update, it seems to go fine through “download”, then I eventually get the pop-up with the “Activate” button… but when I click “activate”, the program crashes, and then when I try to manually launch it again, it crashes immediately every time until I do a manual install. It did this on my work laptop with the 8-30 canary build, and just now on my main PC with the most recent canary.

Strange, updating works fine for me. Does this problem occur with a specific version?
To dispel any doubt: you can safely uninstall and reinstall Duplicati without loosing any setting. All settings are stored outside the program folder (%APPDATA%\Duplicati).

My only issue when updating is, that after I click the Activate button, the webbrowser looses its connection to the Duplicati server engine (expected of course), dispays a message that it’s trying to reconnect, but this doesn’t succeed. I have to re-enter http://localhost:8200 to reload the page.

In both cases it was while upgrading from the current main beta version.

I’ll try that next time - but from what I remember of the failures i’m describing, the tray icon also never came back (and threw a windows error message as it crashed). But you’re right, my config was safe, as after I did the manual install in both instances, it started back up fine as I’d expect.

I just tried the auto-updater on my work laptop (from the 8-30 canary to the most recent canary) and it still fails in much the same way, minus the app crash pop-up (it just fails to relaunch now). Here’s a video of the upgrade and subsequent struggle:
https://www.screencast.com/t/7KqpBLvhIjBM

drakar2007, so to replicate this on my Windows 10 machine I tried:

1. Going to settings and changing “Update channel” from “Default (Beta)” to “Canary”
  2. Clicking “OK”
  3. Going to About (after dismissing the “Found update” alert) and clicking “download now”
  4. Clicking “Activate” when prompted
  5. Duplicati would then start up and be listed in services for 10 - 20 seconds then quit

I tried rebooting and the same thing still happens leaving many entries of the following in my Applications event log.

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe
P2: 2.0.2.1
P3: 5980511c
P4: Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon
P5: 2.0.2.4
P6: 59b3c544
P7: 2c
P8: 7
P9: System.TypeInitialization
P10: 

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_Duplicati.GUI.Tr_d94ee099aebe80fc507ceda0b31654a527bde372_da782039_21ddcbd8

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 2e55195e-0a0b-4b62-9d32-29448b2417d4
Report Status: 96
Hashed bucket: 

Re-running the v2.0.2.1 beta installer and choosing “Repair” then manually running Duplicati Tray got it to appear in my task manger for about 30 seconds but it still crashed and put the following in the error log.

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe
P2: 2.0.2.1
P3: 5980511c
P4: Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon
P5: 2.0.2.4
P6: 59b3c544
P7: 2c
P8: 7
P9: System.TypeInitialization
P10: 

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_Duplicati.GUI.Tr_d94ee099aebe80fc507ceda0b31654a527bde372_da782039_1f3d6515

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: d90585ac-14da-45a2-bb24-e4d6f96c6ad8
Report Status: 96
Hashed bucket: 

I’ll try a reboot and see if it comes back but if not I may have to do an un-install, re-install just to get the tray icon working again. :frowning:

1 Like

That sounds fairly similar to my experience except I didn’t try reinstalling the 2.0.2.1 beta in either case - every time it’s happened for me i’ve gone ahead and downloaded the .msi for the canary version in question (the one that supposedly installed correctly), running the install again, and allowing it to launch - and it works properly after that.

This most recent time I tried rebooting first to see if it would launch, and as in your case, it never did (i didn’t check services but I expect it would have been as you’ve reported); but after manually running the 2.0.2.4 canary .msi as I said above, it is currently running fine.

Yep, install of duplicati-2.0.2.4_canary_2017-09-09-x64.msi seems to have gotten things going again!

Though somewhere along the line I screwed something up as it’s telling me I’m running 2.0.2.4 canary but that there’s an update available for 2.0.2.4 canary.

1 Like

I got that once after restarting, but dismissed it and don’t seem to be getting it anymore (but i haven’t tried restarting again either).

Is this because you are running with a service?

I think there is a problem with the service not updating correctly, so you have a half-updated installation. Could this explain the updater problems?

I haven’t done anything to deviate from the normal default install created by the .msi installer (running windows 10 on my work laptop, 8.1 on my home PC). Sorry for not being sure whether that means it’s running as a service or not :-/

In that case you are not running as a service :slight_smile:

It looks from the crash messages that there is some problem with the “app domain” approach, where some types are not correctly shielded. Terrible thing to debug :tired_face: .

The one thing that smelled fishy to me (but may not be an issue at all) is, when using the regular installer, i get the UAC security popup from Windows, and the auto-updater has no such authorization. I don’t have any extra high security settings or anything within windows, just the routine stuff, if it makes any difference.

For me I got the issue with my non-server install on Windows 10. I also do but recall getting a UAC prompt during upgrade.

I do have a Windows 10 server install of beta on another machine I’m playing with so let me know if you’d like a canary update test in that environment.

I designed the updater to not require elevated permissions. It simply finds a place where it can store the new version. The original version then finds this and does a “bait-n-switch” starting the updated version. This allows updating without fiddling with UAC or interfacing with the MSI stuff.

Ok - that makes sense but wanted to point it out just in case. As you can see from the video I posted before, the install process does appear to run correctly up through the “activate” phase.

Hopefully this isn’t considered a hijack, but since it hasn’t been mentioned yet, I thought I’d share that I had no issues with a test install on Ubuntu Linux going from beta to 2.0.2.8_canary.

HOWEVER - I did notice these oddities in the UI:

1. After setting “Update channel” to Canary, the “About” page showed (bolding added by me):

You are currently running Duplicati unknown
Update 2.0.2.8_cnaray_2017-09-20 is available, download now
Check for updates now

1. On the “Settings” page when testing going from Canary back to beta, the “Update channel” showed (bolding added by me):

Default (Canary)
Same as the base install version: 2.0.2.1_beta_2017-08-01

I tried a reboot in case there was something left over from the update from beta to canary but it still showed the same message and doesn’t find any “updates” from 2.0.2.8_canary back to 2.0.2.1_beta.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, the issue appears to persist even with the current canary build - I attempted to use the auto-updater to update my laptop this morning and after clicking “activate” it never bothered to start up again.

Seems to be the same issue as this:

1 Like

I’ve seen that (since this thread was linked from there some days ago) – the issue does seem similar though of course I don’t have the confidence to say for sure since I’m not running duplicati as a service, and I don’t know exactly what difference is implied by that.

FYI, i noticed there was some update in today’s canary (.11) to address the auto updater. So I manually updated to .11 (using the downloaded MSI etc), then ran auto-updater to .12 – i didn’t receive any crash, but duplicati never launched again after .12 was installed. However, unlike previous auto-update attempts, I was able to launch it manually (previously it would close itself within a second or so, and/or throw a windows crash message). So it seems like we’re on the right track :slight_smile:

1 Like