Version is resetted after restart on Asustor

As mentioned in SFTP backup no longer working on Asustor NAS after patch already there is a problem on Asustor: The app needs to be installed through Asus AppStore. This works although the version is fairly outdated. After installing and starting the app it can be updated in the About section. The process is a bit slow but, again, works.
However, after restarting the NAS the old version reappears. Any backups done with the newest version then show an error that the local database version 11 is not compatible with the server version 12.
The problem goes away after reinstalling the newest version again through the UI - but reappears again after the next restart.

Sounds like update got lost. See About → System info BaseVersionName and ServerVersionName.
Base is the initial install, maybe from Asus. Update is stored separately, and can get lost if corrupted. Corruption detection is pretty sensitive, so even writing a file into an update can get it declared “bad”. Deleting it completely (if Asus does so) would of course also remove it. Suggest you look for updates.

My Linux Mint (Ubuntu base) put base in /usr/lib/duplicati, and updates in /usr/share/Duplicati/updates/, however we’ve seen that Asustor sometimes uses a different folder layout. One way to look is using ps.

Depending on what ps you have, there are probably options (sometimes -ef) to see Duplicati’s options.

Base:

184:root 25692 1 0 Nov17 ? 00:00:12 DuplicatiServer /usr/lib/duplicati/Duplicati.Server.exe --webservice-interface=loopback

Latest update:

166:root 16964 25692 0 09:23 ? 00:00:04 /usr/bin/mono-sgen /usr/share/Duplicati/updates/2.0.7.2/Duplicati.Server.exe --webservice-interface=loopback

EDIT:

So once you find your update, then see if it’s still there after the restart – with no changes done inside.

Before diving into linux commands I have a simple question: Why is the version in the Asus AppStore outdated? This is the official and preferred way of deploying apps to Asustor machines and Duplicati indeed is available there - but not the newest version. Is this no longer maintained? Or is the suggested way to install Duplicati not the Asus AppStore?

and (at least at the App Central site), any available one has a page with Maintainer info. You can ask. Duplicati offers a Docker image and various OS-dependent packages, as seen on its download page. Anything that gets in a repository for a specific OS or some device was likely done by somebody else.
About App Central covers this a bit (but overly vaguely). ASUSTOR Community Forum may also help.

For devices using a nonstandard custom OS and sometimes a variety of processors, the usual plan is hoping that someone has produced a port suitable for that device. If not, it may not be possible to run. What you are trying to do is to blend a custom port with a generic update mechanism. It may not work.

There might be a GUI that can do the same thing. I don’t have an Asustor and I don’t know what it has. Specialized devices are best done by someone with the device. Your port maintainer probably has one.