Use empty space in Web-GUI

Well noticed. Backup job list should have a clean look, with or without any job unfolded. Thinking about it, I ask myself some questions:

• Backup names and statistics have variable lengths. This can cause a line wrap if the column doesn’t have enough horizontal space. Example: the first backup job (Server) in your screenshot has the “Run now” link on a new line, causing the horizontal line to be out of sync with the column at the right.
    I think horizontal separator lines should always be aligned with lines in columns next to it. This could be fixed by making the columns wider, so that all information fits on a single line in all circumstances. Backups with very long names could be truncated and optionally the “run now” link could be replaced with a small triangle icon (Play button) next to the backup name.
  • When expanding a backup job in column 1, how should the backup list in column 2 behave? My personal preference is that the backup jobs in all columns move down along with the expanded backup job, keeping all backup jobs aligned properly.
  • What is the best order for the list of backup jobs? Fill column 1 with the first part and add the last backup jobs to column 2? Or distribute them horizontally, keeping the first jobs at the top of the screen?
  • There is a feature request for (manually) reorder the list of backup jobs. Will using multiple columns prevent implementing this feature? Reordering the list could be achieved by drag and drop, or a button that opens a list with backup names only that can be prioritized.

Using drop down menus instead of expanding jobs can help with horizontally aligning of backup jobs. If jobs don’t expand by clicking on the name, it’s easier to force a preset number of lines for all backup jobs. An example how it can look can be found here: