Update won't download

You are currently running Duplicati - 2.0.4.5_beta_2018-11-28

Update 2.0.4.23_beta_2019-07-14 is available

The above appears on the About page. When I tell it to download the update, it starts, but after a few seconds it quits. This has been going on for several days.

My OS is Linux Mint 17.1 64 bit.

What info can I provide to help troubleshoot this?

This happens to me as well, on Windows 10. Duplicati says “Found update” at the bottom of the screen, I click download, it says “Downloading update” for a few seconds and then goes back to the “Found update” message.

Main discussion (so far) has been in this topic nearby:

Download links not working anymore

If any of you are good at NGINX, servers, or JavaScript, have at it. I think the usual short-term fix is a reboot.

@kenkendk takes care of the servers generally. I’m not sure if anyone else does, or can (in his absence).

Still happening, I can’t find any DNS that can resolve the name

System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: 'alt.updates.duplicati.com'

at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadFile(Uri address, String fileName)

at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.CheckForUpdate(ReleaseType channel)

I updated the servers, and tested. My tests showed no errors, but there was a missing config somewhere. It should be fixed now.

There is currently nothing registered for the alt.updates.duplicati.com. I have it in there if the main url can no longer work for some reason.

2 Likes

If the primary url is working fine, can you make Duplicati not attempt to resolve the url and not create a scary error in the log file regarding the alt url? The error in the log makes us think something is broken that shouldn’t be.

I thought that was the way it works. Are you saying you see the alt URL error even when things are fine?
Download links not working anymore shows my CLI check used to error. It’s fine since update server fix.

Now if you meant can Duplicati better handle the primary server not working, I could agree with the wish. The messaging could be better, but ideally the alt server would exist, not have the same issue, and work.

Squashing the DNS error might be as easy as having alt DNS-resolve to same IP as primary, i.e. a retry. That would leave the installed Duplicati code the ability to go elsewhere via DNS if server admin set that. But the elsewhere would still have to exist, and preferably not updated on the same schedule as primary.

I was going suggest the same thing, it’s a trick I used way back for the MX records of a domain as a way to get more retries on the same SMTP server.

I got the error last on Jul 30, 2019 6:47 PM. It looks like kenkendk fixed a server issue in this thread shortly after that, so that probably explains my error. I like your solution of having the alternate record always point to the primary. That way, both records should resolve without error all the time.