Tray Icon won't load when I run duplicati as a systemd service

I run duplicati via systemd on Linux Mint 18, and when I point my browser to localhost:8200 I can access the GUI just fine.

But when I run duplicati --no-hosted-server --hosturl=http://localhost:8200 as a user, it exits immediately with this error message:

Unexpected error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.HttpServerConnection.PerformRequest[T] (System.String method, System.String urlfragment, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 queryparams) <0x416c11a0 + 0x005a5> in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.HttpServerConnection.UpdateStatus () <0x416c1000 + 0x0003b> in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.HttpServerConnection..ctor (System.Uri server, System.String password, Boolean saltedpassword, PasswordSource passwordSource, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 options) <0x416bfa10 + 0x003a7> in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.RealMain (System.String[] _args) <0x416979f0 + 0x0115b> in <filename unknown>:0

Any ideas?

Have you tried running it without the --hosturl parameter? Though to me that looks like you’re just loading up another server.

For the tray icon wouldn’t you want to do something more like mono Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe --no-hosted-server?

Interesting… This is very similar to the issue being seen by some Windows users (me included).
When Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe --no-hosted-server is run from a shortcut, nothing happens but when run from the command line, a similar error is generated:
C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2>Unexpected error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.HttpServerConnection.PerformRequest[T](String method, String urlfragment, Dictionary2 queryparams) at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.HttpServerConnection.UpdateStatus() at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.HttpServerConnection…ctor(Uri server, String password, Boolean saltedpassword, PasswordSource passwordSource, Dictionary2 options)
at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.RealMain(String[] _args)

More here on GitHub: