The database has version 12 but the largest supported version is 11

What I have done:.
Bought a new computer, set up a Duplicati backup, ran it a few times.
Set old computer aside and left it untouched for some time.
Bought a new SSD, decided to clone the system partition from the old computer to the new ssd and thus run the new computer with the new ssd but the old system partition (updated, though).

Set up a new backup job on the new computer and pointed the new job to the database that has been built when running Duplicati on the new computer before having bought the new SSD. The consequence:

The database has version 12 but the largest supported version is 11. This is likely caused by upgrading to a newer version and then downgrading. If this is the case, there is likely a backup file of the previous database version in the folder C:\Users\dp\AppData\Local\Duplicati. >

Of course, there’s no backup file given the circumstances.
Running Duplicati - 2.0.6.3_beta_2021-06-17.
What are my options?

Thanks!

This sounds a bit like testing of things before settling down on old system partition.
Did testing get into testing Duplicati Canary? That would use database version 12.

What OS, and what’s on the system partition? Where is Duplicati’s database kept?
They’re often in a home directory or a user profile, but install as service is different.

Your situation is unclear, but basic path options are to go back to Canary then install
updates after they have proven themselves (or sooner if you prefer to help with test),
or get the database to 2.0.6.3 version by database Recreate or by manual edit using
DB Browser for SQLite or similar to change a 12 to an 11. I think extra indexes won’t
immediately cause trouble, but next upgrade to Canary might complain they’re there.
Completely undoing the Canary enhancement would mean removing new indexes in
Add indexes to improve backup query performance. Example of different drop is here
however I don’t think I’ve done a “drop index” yet. I’m also not super expert with SQL.

I’m on 2.0.6.104, and here’s a 12 that I propose changing for 2.0.6.3. I haven’t tested:

EDIT:

I suppose for completeness I’ll mention that you can delete the database and destination.
Starting fresh is probably the simplest and most reliable path, but you’d lose old versions.
I don’t know if this hurts, because I don’t know your partitioning and backup arrangement.

This sounds a bit like testing of things before settling down on old system partition.
Did testing get into testing Duplicati Canary? That would use database version 12.

Not that I know of. I’m quite sure I’ve never had Canary. I still have the complete old Windows installation somewhere, but I can’t start it anymore. Can I see the version without starting Duplicati?

What OS, and what’s on the system partition? Where is Duplicati’s database kept?
They’re often in a home directory or a user profile, but install as service is different.

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention! Win11. Duplicati database is in …\Appdata\Local\Duplicati.

I suppose for completeness I’ll mention that you can delete the database and destination.
Starting fresh is probably the simplest and most reliable path, but you’d lose old versions.
I don’t know if this hurts, because I don’t know your partitioning and backup arrangement.

I thought so, but thought I’d ask before doing so.
Thanks a lot!

This is odd. Canary (after the change I cited) is the one way to go version 12. If you like, you can look at some destination file, decrypt if it has a .aes extension (in AES Crypt or Duplicati SharpAESCrypt.exe), unzip to get the manifest file, and it will say what Duplicati version made it. Here’s one from my Canary:

{“Version”:2,“Created”:“20230106T221149Z”,“Encoding”:“utf8”,“Blocksize”:102400,“BlockHash”:“SHA256”,“FileHash”:“SHA256”,“AppVersion”:“2.0.6.104”}

GUI About screen also shows it (as do other methods), but that requires a system still running Duplicati.

You can read C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\changelog.txt, but that’s the original before updates. Possibly you can go there to run Duplicati.CommandLine.exe help system-info to get its Version name and Base install folder and Current version folder. For static files, you can look at these:

yet the db version don’t lie. You had an automatic update at some point.

if you can find the old database (not Duplicati-server.sqlite, the job database with a random name) and open it with a sqlite browser, it’s in the Version table.

I got this error too right now - I made no changes in Duplicati so far. After this error occured, I saw in Duplicati>About a notice:

Aktuell wird Duplicati - 2.0.6.3_beta_2021-06-17 verwendet
*Update 2.0.7.1_beta_2023-05-25 is available, download now *
Update 2.0.7.1_beta_2023-05-25 is installed, activate now

I´m pretty shure, that I use 2.0.7.1_… version since end of May. Duplicati runs as a service.
After restarting my computer, Duplicati worked without error again and showed version 2.0.7.1_… version is installed.
Maybe this strange behaviour comes from switching daylight saving time.

Any manual or scheduled action before that? I don’t think it can happen all on its own.

What are the BaseVersionName and ServerVersionName from About → System info?

If they’re not both 2.0.7.1 then find out where 2.0.7.1 update is, per layout given above.

How do you open GUI? Did you set TrayIcon --no-hosted-server? Do you type URL?
Many times people mess this up because Duplicati as service doesn’t mean there’s not
another non-service Duplicati around on another port that is confusing, as it’s different…

Settings just gone?