Temporary files deleted during Backup

Hi,

I’m currently backing up a lot of files using the latest Canary version of Duplicati (initial upload).

I made a mistake and let Windows delete temporary files. A few seconds after deleting them I got a notification from Duplicati telling me that it’s missing some temp file. I looked at the web interface and saw that Duplicati checked for files on the remote server and went on uploading.

Now my question (because my upload is rather slow and it will take at least till sunday till it’s done): is Duplicati able to recover such a mistake and build a working backup at the remote server? I read that it can pause and resume uploading, but I thought I have to cancel the upload and then resume it afterwards (after a reboot for example)?

Thanks in advance for answering,

Greets
Torsten

It would help if you could include the actual message from your logs, but did it look at all like the one mentioned here?

Note that in post #2 it is confirmed that if you stop the backup then “Just run the backup again, and it will figure out that the data is already uploaded and not upload it again.”

1 Like

Okay, here’s the entry from the log:

1. Nov. 2017 22:22: Failed while executing “Backup” with id: 4
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Die Datei “C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\dup-a144bc7e-9663-498e-a250-591722a7f045” konnte nicht gefunden werden.
    Dateiname: “C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\dup-a144bc7e-9663-498e-a250-591722a7f045”
    bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.HandleFilesystemEntry(ISnapshotService snapshot, BackendManager backend, String path, FileAttributes attributes)
    bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.RunMainOperation(ISnapshotService snapshot, BackendManager backend)
    bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run(String sources, IFilter filter)
    bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.b__0(BackupResults result)
    bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.RunAction[T](T result, String& paths, IFilter& filter, Action`1 method)
    bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.Backup(String inputsources, IFilter filter)
    bei Duplicati.Server.Runner.Run(IRunnerData data, Boolean fromQueue)

Yes, that’s the same problem… sorry. Then I assume everything will be OK.

Greets and thanks
Torsten

You’re welcome - be sure to let us know if you run into any other issues. :slight_smile:

Oh, and in case you didn’t read down that far in the linked topic, there are plans to add a feature to allow “in-memory temp files” rather than on disk ones (when the system resources are adequate). So hopefully future versions will help people avoid this issue all together.