Security related questions to using GPG encryption (e.g. where is the private key stored?)

Dear all.

Some security related questions regarding using GPG encryption:

1. Where are the GPG keys stored? I’d like to make an extra backup of the private key in a key safe.
  2. How is the private GPG key protected? E.g. when a password is used for the web interface, does that also encrypt the private GPG key [assuming with AES256]?
  3. Can I select/create my own GPG keypair [to than use by setting GPG specific options in the job configuration]?
  4. Is there one GPG keypair per backup or one per host [unless otherwise specified in the job configuration]?
  5. What is needed to restore a backup that was encrypted using GPG? (probably answered by question 1)

Did not find the answer in the documentation, forum or sqlite databases for the backup itself.

Kindly,
Fred

I think 1, 2, 3, and 4 assume asymmetric encryption.
By default Duplicati uses symmetric encryption, so there is no private key, just as shared password. You can use asymmetric encryption as explained here:

If you use asymmetric encryption, the key is handled by GPG and not stored in Duplicati.

For (2) if you use symmetric encryption, the passphrase is stored in the database:

For (5) you would need the private key if you are using asymmetric, or the passphrase if you are using symmetric.

Perfect! Works like a charm. Very, very nice (also like the error reporting when keys are missing at backup/restore) :slight_smile: The links provided everything I needed to get GPG encryption working. Apparently my creativity was too limited when searching the forum. Thanks for the apt and complete reply @kenkendk!