Restore failing and dIndex files failing in rebuild

This tool can be used in very specific situations, where you have to restore data from a corrupted backup. The procedure for recovering from this scenario is covered in Disaster Recovery.

It’s not yet clear what’s going on, and RecoveryTool itself has limitations, maybe on memory usage, however whatever’s up with dindex won’t bother it at all because it only uses dblock and dlist. It possibly is slower than regular restore (I don’t know if anyone has benchmarked), but it does exist…

I’m still hoping that the download problems were just a destination weirdness, and extra dindex are actually extra. A dindex indexes a dblock, and names it inside, using a file that looks like the dblock, however is actually the index to its dblock. Ideally I think it’s one-to-one, but sometimes it’s different.

Things that make you go, “Uh-oh.” was opened by someone who noticed that their counts were odd. Pictures and explanations there also give a glimpse of the internal tables. I think other topics do too.

Downloads page macOS section shows Intel, Apple Silicon, and Homebrew, but Windows works too. Pictures I’ll post are Windows. I assume any OS differences are minor, but I don’t know for certain…