Repair and Rebuild database fails: Unexpected difference in fileset

I’ve been looking into this awhile, and there’s more looking needed. I hope you can research and test.

is interesting for two reasons. One is that it’s in the cache, which (like most caches) is for temporary storage of data not meant for direct access which is automatically maintained and frequently cleared.

How to clear the cache folder

If that’s the end of it, then perhaps backing up cache isn’t necessary, however I suspect the sampling simply didn’t show the same problem in the main Dropbox folder. Problem’s clue is the placeholder.

I assume you have Dropbox Professional or Business with Smart Sync. If not, ignore the next portions.

Smart Sync
Smart Sync and system extensions
Going deeper with Project Infinite

I suspect it’s OK with a mirror, but not OK with cloud software that plays fancy tricks such as not doing actual mirroring (as older sync software likes to do), but on-demand on-line action (as newer ways do). One gets a mix of files that are on the computer, or not on the computer. Not on computer = no backup.

Carbon Copy Cloner 5 Release Notes

Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.6

October 12, 2018

• Improved the handling of Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive File Stream and Dropbox placeholder files. Please note that if you’re using any of these services, files that are marked as “online only” cannot be backed up. Learn more here.

Limitations of online-only placeholder files

When you choose to have these services store your files only online, do so with the understanding that it’s not possible to maintain a local backup of those files.

I’m not sure I agree, but it does lead to potential trouble, such as downloading everything there to back up.

Prevent unwanted OneDrive file downloads

Cloud drive integration (files on-demand) took a survey of possible treatments. It’s not clear which is best.

Does this seem to fit so far? I haven’t seen any backup that deals with it well, which possibly could be due to an insufficient API for the backup software to ask for the file temporarily (then put things back as before) or perhaps because it’s hard to find a sensible way to do it at the client when all the files are in the cloud…

If OK so far, the next question is whether your Google Drive app is Drive File Stream, or Backup and Sync. Drive File Stream has the same issue. If Backup and Sync, right click Google Drive to make sure Security grants access by the SYSTEM user that you found in Task Manager. If not, access will need to be granted. When I first set up Google Drive backup, I had to do this. The new Backup and Sync seems better though.