Recreating database logic/understanding/issue/slow

These are reported sometimes, both as forum reports and also as the usual way my main backup breaks. This self-check is well-understood in terms of its testing, but how that inconsistency happens isn’t known completely. Some cases might have been improved, e.g. “Unexpected difference in fileset” errors [2.0.3.9] might have been helped by fixes for Failed put operations do not result in error #3673 that went into canary.

Unexpected difference in fileset version 4: …found 6180 entries, but expected 6181 gives the workaround that sometimes works, where the offending version is deleted, but sometimes the problem shows up in a different version. Also, some people might not like to delete versions, because they don’t want to lose any. Copying off your backup files and database would make sure you don’t go down the path of many deletes.

I don’t think it’s been tested extensively, but another option (at the price of another Recreate) is instead of doing a full Recreate (actually a Repair without a database), limit its versions to exclude the troubled one. –version looks like it has enough syntax to it that you could do a range of 0-38,40-999999 to just avoid 39.

I have to say I’m disappointed that this issue can survive a Recreate (if I understood your steps correctly), however beyond that it’s probably a separate topic, and not related to the original slowness of a Recreate.

2.0.4.18-2.0.4.18_canary_2019-05-12 fixes at least my #3747 Issue where an empty file makes Recreate download all of the dblocks. Test, if you like, on a separate install. Canary is bleeding-edge and can break.

• Ignoring empty remote files on restore, which speeds up recovery, thanks @pectojin
1 Like