QNAP without Mono

Hi, I’ve just started trying Duplicati instead of Crashplan. All is going well with most backups. However I have one client with a QNAP TS-420, which does not allow the install of Mono. Does anyone know of a way to run Duplicati on this type of NAS? I see from other threads that Duplicati can be complied into a package, but unfortunately, I have nowhere near enough experience to do something like that. If anyone could help with specific instructions they would be gratefully received. Regards, Robert

There are packages for QNAP and Synology, but I guess a Mono installation is still a requirement before these packages can be installed.

Yes, it’s the Mono bit that I’m struggling with. I have already used Duplicati successfully on other QNAP NAS, that do allow Mono. This model (bought by the client, not me), is just very restricted.

I think you can do it with Qmono. There is a reddit thread about running Sonarr and Radarr on QNAP TS-420. Both Sonarr and Radarr are C# applications that have basically the same requirements as Duplicati, so I think it should work.

If that doesn’t work, I would opt for trying a docker container as it will ship with mono installed inside the container and thus not need mono installed on the QNAP.

There’s the Linuxserver.io image and fkrull just submitted a pull request to the Duplicati github about a docker file so that Duplicati can supply an official image 3029

Many thanks Pectojin for the comments. I had come across the Reddit thread, but unfortunately, as mentioned in the thread, the TS-420 doesn’t seem to have any option for any implementation of Mono, and also doesn’t support containers. Looks like I’ll either have to get the client to switch to a new NAS, or perhaps run Duplicati on a client machine and leave it on 24/7.

Ah, that’s unfortunate. A client PC should still be able to do the trick, but it won’t perform great over a network share :frowning: