“No filelist found on the remote destination”

Hey All,

I’m having an interesting issue. I have a fresh Debian 9 server with BackBlaze B2 as a backup destination. Things were going along smoothly until I needed to reboot the server for kernel updates. What happened next is that I tried to resume the backup and got the error "No filelist found on the remote destination”. Alright, did some reading and I attempted to do a database repair. That didn’t work and I still got the message. I did a database delete and then verify. It said that there were 3115 files on the destination and that I would need to run a repair to update the database. Cool, not a problem. Afterward it got to a point where I ended up with the same filelist error.

So far I’m really liking this setup. But I would really like to resume my backup and get past this error. Can anyone offer any advise?

Sorry for missing this earlier - are you still having the issue?

Do you recall what version of Duplicati you were using and whether or not the initial backup had completed?

Normally continuing a backup like that should be no problem but the “No filelists found” error means Duplicati couldn’t find any dlist files at the destination.

This could be due to many possible reasons including:

• bad response from B2 when Duplicati asked for a file list

[Can you check the job -> Show log -> Remote (tab) to see if any dlist files were listed? Note that if you rebuilt the database then it likely wiped that log]

• bad parsing of response by Duplicati

• files ACTUALLY missing (or maybe never created if initial backup incomplete?)

[Can you find any duplicati-20171030T180000Z.dlist.7z.aes like files on B2?]

• Duplicati looking in the wrong folder (well, different folder than it was using before)

Tell me if I understand correctly. Initial backup cannot be resumed? If it fails I get this and more errrors. WIth no fix.

I have similar issue and i am not able to recreate database.

error remains. It was my first backup and that got interrupted.

no way to recover ?

Hello @Rupesh and welcome to the forum!

Could you give more details please? How did the backup get interrupted, then was error on next backup?

Please mention any other steps that may have been taken. Ordinarily, just backing up should continue…

Does your remote destination have some dblock and dindex files? I’d expect no dlist, given the complaint.

Does “I am not able to recreate database” mean with the Recreate button? If so, how did it come to that?

@ts678

I faced this same issue today.

Duplicati version: 2.0.4.5
remote service: B2 storage

Steps I did before this issue occurred.

1. Setup and Initiated first backup.
  2. after ~3.2GB paused and then cancelled the backup.
  3. added one more filter to exclude a directory
  4. Tried to restart the backup, but failed.
  5. Tried to reset and recreate the local db
  6. Tried to delete the local db
  7. Tried to start the backup again and got this error.

I have to delete all the 3.2GB from B2 storage and delete and recreate the backup config to restart again.

Lots of “Tried” there. Any notes on which step got this failure, and optionally how the other steps failed?

EDIT: Although if I take it exactly as written, “this error” only happened at step 7, or did it happen earlier?

EDIT2:

and I don’t see why this is necessary. Are you already running, or are you saying you think you need this?

There might also be a way to avoid re-upload, but it’s ugly and experimental. I just tested it earlier today…

@ts678 Thanks for the quick reply.

Tried to reset and recreate the local db

The recreate of local db got failed. But don’t remember the exact error message.

Tried to delete the local db

This was successful (because the delete button got disabled)

Tried to start the backup again and got this error.

This is the exact message I received at this point. “No filelist found on the remote destination”

Ya may be the delete and recreate backup config was unnecessary.

That makes sense because the filelist isn’t uploaded until the backup is done, as it contains the results of the backup. The file list information was in the database, except that got deleted in step 6, leaving no clue about what files got processed so far. What you might have is some of their blocks and dblock index files.

How the backup process works gets into this more, and B2 web UI can show what you actually uploaded.

Although B2 has free uploads so you might prefer taking advantage of that, what I noticed is that Recreate appears able to put dblock and dindex information into the database, even if it’s seemingly not in any files. What this would achieve is upload avoidance of the same information when the same files are backed up again in another backup try. Duplicati won’t upload blocks of data that it records as already on the remote.

The trick is to trick Recreate into pulling the dblock and dindex info in (it may need complete download) by manual upload of a dummy dlist taken from some other backup done specifically to make this starter dlist. You don’t care that Recreate doesn’t like it, provided it runs, and then lets you continue backup as desired.

If you like, I can try to test this out a little more and supply steps, but B2 download charges might kick in…

Things like pause, cancel, and stop have some issues. I don’t recall all the specifics, but a repair effort is:

Fix pausing and stopping after upload #3712

It does simplify things a bit because it gives you the option of deleting the remote files. On the other hand it complicates things because you have to take it up on its offer to export the job, then import it back in again. Probably the best path though unless you’re in the ill-advised habit of deleting the backup parts by hand. :wink:

The easy way to avoid no-filelists-at-all is to start with a small backup, perhaps doing most important files. After getting at least one backup up, you won’t be subject to Recreate complaining it can’t find any filelists.