Moving forum to new IP

Tomorrow at roughly 06:00 AM UTC the forum will be put in read-only mode and moved to a new machine. During this period, the forum will likely be unavailable and flaky for 1 hour or more.

After the move the site is expected to function as before. No action is required for users.

Making the forum readonly for a brief period now

Yikes, that was rough :exploding_head:, but everything should be working again as before.

I’m sorry it was rough. My computer was sleeping during the move, but on wake, it was business as usual.

It’s always nice when migrations are so transparent, despite who-know-what-efforts behind the scenes. :wink:

1 Like

The forums don’t appear to be able to send outgoing emails anymore.

Previously, I used to receive notifications of replies, etc. but I don’t seem to receive them any longer. By way of experimentation I tried requesting a password reset via email, and also requesting a login link but didn’t receive emails for either of them.

I tailed the incoming logs on my mail server, and as far as I can tell no delivery was ever attempted.

I know that the last time I provisioned a new VPS I had to call the provider and specifically request that they unblock outgoing SMTP, as they blocked it by default. Perhaps a similar thing is happening now?

Statistically, my volume seems lower, and interestingly, my last email was this one from before move:

On forum screen, post date is April 11 11:50 PM (UTC-4), which is about two hours before the move.

Email headers show that my ISP got it from sparkpostmail.com at 11 Apr 2024 21:00:56 -0700 (PDT)

There’s also this setting in preferences, and I don’t know what mine was before, but now it looks like:

Although you already tested in quite a variety of ways, l just sent you a PM to see if it gets to your email.

I will see if I can fix it.

That looks pretty much the same in my inbox: no recent emails.
I was not using the email notifications as I get them in other ways, but it looks like something got lost.

It appears fixed now. It was a default setting that had overwritten the sending domain.

1 Like