More detail in the progress bar

I’d like to propose that the progress bar in Duplicati is updates more frequently in long running jobs such as rebuilding a database to give a clearer indication of what’s happening,hoy many dlist items or dblock items are remaining to be processed etc

In this way the user will be better informed as to progress, an indication of time remaining etc.

Perhaps also notifying whether interrupting a specific process will require the whole task to be restarted, or if it will pick up where it left off.

Thanks

4 Likes

Can be combined with this feature request, making the status bar expandable to show more information:

I think if we can get a champion of an updated progress bar to put something on Issues · duplicati/duplicati · GitHub a bounty might draw some developer hours…

Note that frequency of updates may not be as doable as providing more information. This is because the Duplicati web UI is basically a pretty output for what the Duplicati server (service / daemon or tray-icon) is reporting.

So if the server is busy with a long task (say compressing a 500MB dblock file on a single core CPU) it may not have any new information for the UI to display.

Ok, so how would that work, would we pony up what we thought was a reasonable bounty, or whatever we individually are willing to invest and if its suitably enticing, someone develops the update and then wins the pot?

While I have put money into a bounty (Time Machine like retention policy) I’ve never actually tried to collect one, so please take this post as a summary of how I think this all works - I could be completely wrong. :blush:

Each person who wants to see that feature offers however much money they feel it’s worth to them.

As more people add their own personal worth offer the bounty increases and usually it eventually gets to a point where somebody (even a non-Duplicati developer) decides it’s worth their time to code it.

Once implemented, everybody who offered part of the bounty can vote on whether or not what was coded is what they expected. If enough people agree it’s “correct” then the bounty is split up among however many coders were officially involved.

As I recall, it’s only at that time that the money is removed from the various bounty offer accounts and paid to the developer. This means that if the feature is never built, you don’t pay out any money.

Some examples of recent Duplicati bounties that worked include:

I expect some developers (with way more spare time than I have) actually watch GitHub for posts with the Bounty tag to see if they’re interested in trying to collect any of them. :slight_smile:

1 Like