Kestrel is coming

Although I’m not sure how well timeframe fits, there’s already the idea that migrating off old .NET can (maybe should) involve manual install at least at first. This gives the ability to write directions on how encryption should be removed before leaving old way, and inform people on risks this could increase.

This is not just encryption, but general. It should get a deliberate acceptance that it’s much new code.

was an amusing phrase once used, but hopefully we can have a little more confidence before a ship.

Regarding timeframe, if the wish is to improve SQLite on current .NET prior to Stable, that’s different.

I’m not advocating a particular direction, just discussing some of the options that might help to decide.

This is worrisome because it impacts not just performance, but reliable writes, thus database integrity. Attempting to find further discussions, I found this which is mostly macOS, but gets into what one may legitimately assume about fsync (on Windows maybe it’s FlushFileBuffers), and what’s not promised.

I think most of Duplicati’s database integrity problems are its own fault, but occasionally we do get the “database disk image is malformed” that says things are wrecked below whatever SQL tables contain.

I don’t follow this. After dropping encrypted DB, what is this supplied to, and what effects does it have?