Issues to address to get out of beta

Maybe. As you can see from its history, it was mostly an individual effort (for which I am very thankful).
Maybe it was said that way to cover the inevitable how-can-I-get-it than the you-must-do-just-this idea.

Without usage reporter data, how do we know outliers? Survey of forum posters is probably skewed.
What’s known is that latest LTS of very popular distro fails by default (I guess) due to its mono 4.6.2. Whatever mono gets chosen, can our OS installers at least be updated before beta for new installs? Existing users just take their chances on updates, and I hope there’s lots of help handling any fallout.
Announcements category could be used to get a heads-up to those registered. Any better channels?

My July 26 attempt to survey the forum got an idea of what’s been mentioned, but not what’s now run:

Forum Google search survey, mostly taken 07/26/2019

17	"RedHat"
2	"Red Hat"
6	"RHEL"
1	"RHEL 6"
0	"Enterprise Linux 6"
0	"RHEL 7"
0	"Enterprise Linux 7"
48	"CentOS"
5	"CentOS 6"
27	"CentOS 7"
39	"Fedora"

1	"SUSE"
16	"openSUSE"
0	"SLES"
0	"Enterprise Server"

70	"Arch" (rolling release)
82	"Manjaro" (rolling release)

219	"Synology"
109	"Synology" "mono"

118	"QNAP"
25	"QNAP" "mono"

4	"Slackware"
97	"Unraid"
22	"Unraid" "mono"

237	"Debian"
23	"Debian 8"
37	"Debian" "Jessie"
39	"Debian 9"
33	"Debian" "Stretch"
350	"Ubuntu"
99	"Ubuntu 16.04"
5	"Ubuntu" "Xenial"
56	"Ubuntu 18.04"
5	"Ubuntu" "Bionic"
34	"Ubuntu" "LTS"
111	"Linux Mint"
5	"Linux Mint 18"
3	"Linux Mint" (Sarah OR Serena OR Sonya OR Sylvia)
7	"Linux Mint 19"
9	"Linux Mint" (Tara OR Tessa OR Tina)
0	"LMDE"

1	"Gentoo"

0	"Mageia"

228	"macOS"
121	"OSX"

Versions for mono was your good site to see what distro ships what, and mono-project seems to support:

Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 (high usage, so it’s covered well if user downloads either before or after blowup). Ubuntu 14.04 reached end of standard support this past April, so that gets it off my worries about support.

Debian 9 and 10
Debian “stretch” Release Information

Debian 9.9 was released April 27th, 2019. Debian 9.0 was initially released on June 17th, 2017.

Debian “buster” Release Information

Debian 10.0 was released July 6th, 2019.

CentOS/RHEL 6,7,8 (taking things way back, although note I’m not yet looking up mono versions).

Fedora has 29 and 28

In distros of interest that mono-project.com doesn’t support (if we’re willing to relax documentation note), Slackware/Unraid has mono 5.0.1.1, and Synology has at least v5.18.0.240-12, so 5.0 looks a little better.

Mono 5.0.0 Release Notes also is where compilers (and much else) changed, so C# 7 is better handled:

Release date: 10 May 2017

C# Compiler

I keep hoping that this forces move to at least mono 4.8, but the distro security teams aren’t biting AFAIK. No new developer commenters seem to be joining in here, so I’ll yield, but expect help on supporting this. Canary will let us fine-tune the response systems some before this goes to beta and affects more users.

as part of a large bundle, rather than small slide-in which would need less testing, so how to get to beta?

FYI I just opened “Google Drive (full access) login” restricted in early 2020 #3875 for possible milestones. Should we add this to Upcoming beta or hope we can push another out before early 2020 brings a crisis?

EDIT:

mono 5.0 is also a nice even number, which is not just an aesthetic thing. .NET Portability Analyzer has:

which maybe will help figure out some API holes, or maybe the tool doesn’t know, and code throws later:

Reference assemblies

The reference assemblies were updated to fully match the .NET 4.6.2 API set. This means that you no longer get compilation errors about missing classes/methods when building against one of the .NET profiles via msbuild / xbuild .

Note that at runtime certain APIs that Mono doesn’t (yet) implement will still throw an exception.

however we’re probably helped by having few-to-no exactly 5.0.0 mono installs around. Most 5.x are later.

Back on the topic of release workflow…I strongly agree with the need for regular (possibly automated) canary releases. Without these, we will often have the issue (like now) where changes sit basically untested by users.

Gitflow Workflow | Atlassian Git Tutorial is also a good presentation.

Git Flow has been widely advertised, but also criticized for giving in to bad practices.

Gitflow is a Poor Branching Model Hack uses rather prickly language to point out the central problem behind the model: not having the full range of test cases to support continuous development. Unit testing is not enough.

Introduction to GitLab Flow does not criticize, but provides a good description of a simple, no-hassle branching model for those who have bothered to build up and equip their continuous deployment practices properly.

Finally, the conversation I tried to start a while ago.

1 Like

I know @verhoek set up an automated system for producing nightly builds that were signed with a different key (on the build server). I completely dropped that one, but I am sure it can be picked up if there is a push for it.

This is what I consider the blocker for a non-beta release. The database rebuild is super slow, and sometimes fails. For a production-ready system this should not happen.

There are also cases where the database suddenly breaks, but maybe that part is actually fixed now.

The shutdown is nice, but Duplicati should be able to handle a hard power off, so that is not a blocker for me. Symlinks and paths are working AFAIK, and some translations are complete.
Subfolders is a new feature, so I would not delay a non-beta for that.

For what it’s worth database rebuilding has gotten REALLY good on my laptop after Check block size on recreate by Pectojin · Pull Request #3758 · duplicati/duplicati · GitHub
I have some periodic issues where the local DB is corrupted when backup over SSH tunnel is timed out (e.g. over a company VPN), so I’ve been rebuilding a good amount of times the last few weeks. I’m still surprised about how quick the rebuilding is without scavenging :smiley:

One of the sticking points I see with releases is back-ends really need to be plugins and not part of a monolithic package. Releases get pushed out because something external breaks in a back-end but other less tested development has been done in the core in the meantime. Then we may have a issues (sometimes not know immediately) and the users of previously broken back-end are caught between a rock in a hard place.

Also, I think we need to look at using milestones (as it was mentioned before). This helps set users’ expectations and lets developers focus.

Also one of the big things I think we need to start using is ‘feature freezes.’ I seems like Duplicati is doing a breakneck speed feature development but reliability and stability are going to the wayside. Feature freezes will help let the dust settle on bug and issues. I know right now, upgrading is always an anxiety for me because backup/recovery are critical aspect of data security. Especially now in the age of ransomware. Having a backup/restore systems that may just not work, is very wearing.

I completely agree on reliability. The file handling and database needs to be pounded so we can identify weak points. I’m thinking more unittests are really needed to identify such issues and to always know if any change impacts reliability. This is something I’m wanting to work on ASAP.

p.s. The only 2 features I’m working on are subfolders and adding parity files. Subfolders is needed for some backends to be usable for large backups. The parity files add a good safety net against bit rot etc. Neither is needed for the next release nor for coming out of beta but I think are important to have.

And as for getting a new canary or beta release out, @kenkendk says there are some blockers on getting it out, but if we’re fixing bugs why not get these fixes out to users? Besides adding more unittests as mentioned, how else will we know when it is ready for a release?

I’m not sure that’s what he was saying if you’re talking about

it seemed like agreement with your proposal, quoted above that. I’ll continue, based on that assumption.

This discussion is at various levels, but there are similarities. For example, if we say damage to backup destination is a big issue, and damage to database is a smaller issue (because backup destination can usually recreate DB), then we can apply same idea to any release variety, e.g. regarding regressions or newfound fixes. Sometimes a big issue simply has no fix available yet, although seeing it on a list might make people focus more – and one doesn’t need to be a coder to help the coders find good test cases.

To decide when to release something, can we look at what’s fixed-but-not-shipped versus desired-fixes? Big-issue fixes after v2.0.4.5-2.0.4.5_beta_2018-11-28 and v2.0.4.22-2.0.4.22_canary_2019-06-30 exist. Discussion is possible (I can nominate some), or we could put them on milestone as already closed so amount of closed issues can be weighed against not-yet-closed when weighing the decision to release.

My nominations for things worth squeezing into next canary, which is probably the path to the next beta:

CheckingErrorsForIssue1400 and FoundIssue1400Error test case, analysis, and proposal #3868 is the database-breaker I’d propose we ensure makes next beta (which may mean catching the next canary).

The somewhat obscure backup-breaker is that FluentFTP needs upgrading. Problems after upgrade to 2.0.4.21 describes how parallel uploads code change tickled a bug (now maybe fixed) in the aftp library.
Update framework to 462 #3844 is needed to update FluentFTP, then someone needs to actually test it.
EDIT: In the forum post, you can see how this regression was a big beta issue once, so let’s get it fixed.

If there are only blockers for a non-beta, what is preventing a canary or beta from going out more often? For the canary is it just automation?

I don’t agree. I think that was just his answer to “out of beta” (who knows) . I think beta can have blockers, also, typically big regressions found in canary or experimental, or maybe a critical fix it’s worth waiting for.

The person who does releases should answer that, but an opinion (hope it’s still valid) on that issue is:

Personally, I think it’s best for canary to have hand-curated documentation on the changes. Takes time.
There’s also some need to keep track of the state of things and not push a release at an unstable spot.
That’s where milestones could help the release-maker. Automated test success is not the total story…

Nightlies might have to make do with GitHub’s list of source changes, unless automation can do better.

That’s a what-if with blockers, I’m wanting to understand if there are currently blockers for putting a new canary or beta out. Like you said, that’s a question for the person handling releases.

For canary, if release documentation is desired that’s fine, then there should be automated nightly builds. IMHO early and often builds should be getting out to testers.

“Blockers” is ambiguous. I proposed two “blockers” as in “suggest-waiting-for-fix”. Any others? Where is:

Fix pausing and stopping after upload #3712

Stopping immediately also works but due to issues of corrupting the database when aborting, the stop now button has been removed until the corruption issues are fixed.

Fix ‘stop after current file’ #3836 is being actively worked, I don’t know if its impact is as bad as above one.

Anybody else have nominations for fixes that you really want to fit in next release? If so, please describe it.

If you mean non-code “blockers” from process viewpoint, we can use more thoughts. I gave one person’s, and his “anything meaningful” part is what I hope one can view by seeing closed items on some milestone. Such items would have been largely pre-chosen as worthy of planning, thus likely worthy of a release note.

In addition to Pectojin Discussion: release cycle, here’s my view from Release: 2.0.4.23 (beta) 2019-07-14:

Those are already broken in the current beta release. If some things are not fixed why hold up a beta release when other items are ready to go? Not everything needs to be fixed to deliver a new release.

I’m not sure I’m understanding the requirement need to be met for a new release. If there are incremental fixes get them out. For issues still not fixed then like other projects, put then in the release notes as “Known Issues”. We certainly will not want to knowingly push out a release that is worse.

I must be missing something. Thanks for your patience.

I likely confused things by referencing an issues post, then asking for talk on two others. Do you mean Issue1400 and friends one which is an old bug but very impactful as seen in impact analysis of issue?
That had so much advance work including analysis and proof-of-concept fix that it seemed worth a fix.

The FTP (Alternative) bug does not exist in the current beta. If you refer to both stop issues, they exist, however I wanted to see if anybody would speak to them as worthy of squeezing in, given, as you say:

This is exactly why I’m proposing we weigh the fixes versus not-yet-fixes. Some fixes just have to wait. Which of the issues (if any) do you think should get fixed before we PM kenkendk to release a canary?

This is exactly why I was lobbying for just an incremental fix for aftp instead of TargetFramework move, however the consensus of those with opinions (including on current thread) seemed to like bigger step.

What I’d really like would be to fix the beta blockers (including the aftp backend fix I keep mentioning

Reasonable idea if we get better at release notes (volunteers?) and can filter 800+ issues to limited list, possibly an “Errata” idea with known workarounds, and other issues at least having to be describable… Describable issues might also be candidates for a milestone. Random breakages are hard to deal with.

Anyone else have input? You want to PM for a canary right now, or if not, then what should be awaited?

As long as the current master branch has no known additional bugs then I would say do a canary release and wait for no other PR’s, just get the canary out. There is no need to wait for the .net462 framework move, that can go in another canary release.

There doesn’t seem to be a reason to hold back a canary or beta release.

Regarding AFTP, according to that link the that bug was known about by at least July 3rd and the last beta was July 14th. The AFTP bug is not in the current beta?

It was made in v2.0.4.16-2.0.4.16_canary_2019-03-28. 2.0.4.23 is basically 2.0.4.5. Release note:

v2.0.4.23-2.0.4.23_beta_2019-07-14

Changes in this version:
This update only contains warnings to inform users on Amazon Cloud Drive that the service is discontinued.

To confirm that, click for what latest beta brought, compared to November 2018:

https://github.com/duplicati/duplicati/compare/v2.0.4.5-2.0.4.5_beta_2018-11-28…v2.0.4.23-2.0.4.23_beta_2019-07-14

I’d like to know how others feel. I don’t know of other issues holding back a canary, but I’d want to get another canary soon to fix the aftp regression and the huge corruption fix which is the Issue1400 one.

Question is – what’s the Canary plan before Experimental and Beta? More Canary == a slower Beta, however the post that Pectojin commented on pointed out that in times past Canary came very often:

before 2.0.4.15_canary new versions were are released every week

although I don’t think kenkendk would like the rapid pace because he’s incredibly busy at the moment.

What does everyone think about the path to Beta? There’s also forced Google Drive issue (still TBD).

EDIT:

Release has link you can click to see what’s changed since then, but go back too far and it overloads.

v2.0.4.22-2.0.4.22_canary_2019-06-30

I’m not seeing anything too earth-shattering after that, though we’d lose some good fixes if this was called Experimental. 2.0.4.22 canary actually seems canary-adjacent to 2.0.4.21 experimental which I think was 2.0.4.20 canary. Alternative beta push would be to say testing is enough, and beta at 2.0.4.22 code. Code prior to 2.0.4.22 would lose fixes for backup-breaker Upload throttle corrupts backup, especially OneDrive. Analyzed, with code proposed. #3787 and database-breaker “Unexpected difference in fileset” test case and code clue #380, and those look pretty critical, if we agree we want to focus on those breakage types.

Pushing past 2.0.4.22 onto current master fixes an occasional restore-breaker Hash mismatch download corruption, likely from throttle buffer offset being reused #3782 and limited backend-breaker Backends are not disposed after upload operations #3808, plus 2.0.4.13 DB bug report code keeps original FileLookup Path intact (privacy regression) #3790. Shall we pick those up too, then try Canary - Experimental - Beta and perhaps release-note aftp not working when server OS has different line endings than Duplicati has? Not sure I want to release note the Issue1400 and say we decided to Beta without it, so they get to wait…

I don’t know of any issues currently that should block a canary release. I think we should get a canary out soon.