Introducing the Duplicati Portal: Your New Hub for Cloud-Based Backup Monitoring and Management

Hi all, thanks a lot for this, the duplicati portal will be a really great tool for managing backups via a web UI!

Only alternatives that I know of which are open-source are:

Anyone in this thread know of other open-source solutions similar to the duplicati portal? Would be great to list them all. And congrats to the team for this new revenue stream opportunity!

I have tracked it down, and it happens when the backup fails.
In pre-2.0.8.0 versions, it will not send any metadata, just the error messages.
This is interpreted as timestamp 0, using Unix EPOCH, meaning 1970-01-01, or ~55 years ago.
I expect a fix to arrive soon.

Not sure I follow. Is this caused by multiple backups being grouped by the same machine id?

Yeah, that would resolve everything :slight_smile:

The only open-source solution I know of is the dupReport monitoring solution, which is based on email reports.

I will try to explain, basically i have it like this;

Machine 1(desktop);
Backup to NAS
Backup to STACK online storage.
Both give the same machine id.

Machine 2(laptop);
Same setup as machine 1, but also carrying the same machine id. Its not added another machine. But the backup names are correctly like i’ve setup in duplicati.

How can it carry the same machine id?
It is supposed to be auto-generated on each machine.

With v2.0.8.0 and the newly released v2.0.8.1_beta it is possible to set the machine-id in advanced settings, if you prefer to manage the machine id’s.

With v2.0.7.1 it will not send a machine id at all.

We pushed an update to the portal and you should now see some better guesses at the end-time value.

And also, updating to version 2.0.8.0 or later will include the version number and more detail in the reports on failures.

In case anyone hits it – omitting send-http-result-output-format Json gets Warnings likely not in your logs.

This is a misconfiguration, but those happen. The fix is to use Json format. If somehow you had a log file:

2024-05-08 07:19:45 -04 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Modules.Builtin.SendHttpMessage-HttpResponseError]: HTTP Response: 415 - Unsupported Media Type: 
System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (415) Unsupported Media Type.
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at Duplicati.Library.Modules.Builtin.SendHttpMessage.SendMessage(String subject, String body)
2024-05-08 07:19:46 -04 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Modules.Builtin.ReportHelper-ReportSubmitError]: Failed to send message: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (415) Unsupported Media Type.

System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (415) Unsupported Media Type.
   at Duplicati.Library.Modules.Builtin.SendHttpMessage.SendMessage(String subject, String body)
   at Duplicati.Library.Modules.Builtin.ReportHelper.OnFinish(Object result, Exception exception)

While I think silently ignoring a default formatted messages would be worse, I wish Duplicati logged better. Regardless, this is a one-time-setup-fix thing and I’m posting here to let people know the error symptoms.

Updated to the latest beta, is this how the machine-id is displayed?

I have this in the settings;

Yes, that looks correct. It is a random sequence, not very human-friendly.
The intention for the portal is to be able to add labels and names to the different id’s.

The machine-id option is only visible in the application-wide settings:

For me, it’s visible per-job as well, although Settings is certainly a simple place to set up all the jobs.
On this 2.0.8.1 Beta system, I didn’t add machine-id in settings, and yet it’s available in job options:

I see the same here…

I see, I should have checked before writing :frowning:

I understand, thanks! I do have 1 more question. It is possible to change that random sequence or is it necessary to keep it like that?

If you mean the machine-id, it is meant to provide a unique id for the machine.
You can edit the machine-id if you like, it is located in %APP_DATA%\Duplicati\machineid.txt or ~/.Duplicati/machineid.txt for most machines.

You can also set it in advanced options, but editing the text file means it will also be used for any commandline initiated backups automatically.

If you set it to something else, you should make sure that you do not have two machines that have the same id, or they will display as a single machine in the portal.

Following the getting started (good job!) I just successfully set up my first machine to run two backup jobs. Then I wanted to set up also the jobs on my two laptops. FYIW on all three I changed the machine-id to something readable. However the machines and the (successfully run) jobs on the laptops don’t show up on the dashboard. Is there a limit to the number of machines in the trial?
BTW I don’t have a machineid.txt file anywhere under %AppData% on my Win10 machine. Was this comment meant to say, that we need to create such a file? I don’t even have a folder %appdata%/Duplicati (%appdata% expanding to AppData/roaming).

The comment might have meant %LOCALAPPDATA%\Duplicati\machineid.txt (as first choice).

1 Like

Exactly! Duplicati should not use the roaming folder for any storage.

How did you change it? You cannot change the report url, because it contains a unique token for your account.

You can change the machineId in either the file (which is %LOCALAPPDATA%\Duplicati or ~/.config/Duplicati) or as the option --machine-id=1234. The option part can be set in the application settings (same place the recommended configuration for the report url is set), so you can set both in one go.

Yes, the current limit is 100 unique machine id’s.

in %localappdata%\Duplicati I have the *.sqlite files of my backup jobs, but that’s it - no other files (except for the folder “control_dir_v2”)

As described in the Getting Started, I set the option--machine-id=123in the advanced settings of the installation (after copying the other option string with the report URL). I followed the same procedure that worked for my first machine.

well, that should not be the limiting factor then :slight_smile:

The timing of changes looks a bit complicated. 2.0.8.1_beta_2024-05-07 probably has this:

2.0.7.101_canary_2024-03-08

Added machine and backup id options for reports, thanks @kenkendk

but not this:

which is where the file rearranging was done, and machineid.txt was seemingly added.
2.0.9.100_canary_2024-05-30 has the “revisit” change but hasn’t yet matured into a Beta.