Introducing "Duplicati, Inc."

Restore from Azure BLOB hangs intermittently didn’t end that way. Developer expertise is stretched, having quite a backlog of issues and wants. Personally, I’m happy to see more of the original author (without disrespect to all the wonderful volunteers who followed and have made additional progress):

Music to my ears, as a volunteer mostly on the forum, who helps people with whatever they’re facing. Volunteers will continue to play an important role, I think, so please pitch in to help with what you can.
Maybe the new additions to the company will bring improved training materials, etc. that all can use…

I would agree, but the user volume and usage scenarios have also grown, so it’s still rather busy here. People will always ask questions, UX has gaps, etc., but its trustworthiness seems better, on average.

1 Like

I love Duplicati & Duplicati Inc :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

There are other companies that are are open source and provide both community edition and commercial aspect of the software. Truenas comes to mind. And some created a bit of a frictions - pfsense comes to mind (not sure if they resolved them or not). Others (like Red Hat) hurt the community.

Wishing you all the best and keep up with the open source community. I am very thankful for the project. Even a home user can easily need to store 1-2 TB these days. For the home users - Duplicati has been extremely valuable resource. Hope it will always be available even for the ones who don’t have the means to pay. At the same time - be successful and attract the funding that are needed.

3 Likes

Exciting news. Good luck. Duplicati has been perfect for my needs for a long time. Glad that not only is it not dying, but it’s going to grow. For better or worse i don’t donate too often, but Duplicati has been one of the very few things I have donated to. Glad to have supported.

2 Likes

Most interesting. Let’s hope the community version gets the few fixes, it’s been waiting for long. Some things are really small things, but still lacking. Even the catastrophic things like data corruption hopefully get finally fixed. Even if that’s technically very small thing to fix, as discussed in other threads. - It has been painful journey for some parts.

Made me smile, as “developers” being more than one. Even 1/4 developer would have made all the difference, by just fixing the worst parts which made everyone sweat and seriously betrayed the users whom didn’t know and realize these unacceptable risks.

But hopefully that’s soon resolved and we can see the bright future!

2 Likes

Great news! Website or do we still get announcements here?
Of all the backup software I evaluated, Duplicati has been the best. With a dedicated team, it will no doubt be a commercial success.

Good luck with your venture. I liked Duplicati (have moved away recently)

I was planning some sort of short goodbye message, so I was triggered to write it now.

I — and thanks to me my family — have been using Duplicati for some years now. It was flakey when we started, later we had little trouble, it was stable. They were backing up to a MinIO server hosted by me. I developed a macOS launchd setup for Duplicati. While the family was using Duplicati, I backed up the server (not the Duplicati data) with CrashPlan, which I had been using for a very long time. But CrashPlan had gotten much worse over time. It is a resource hog java monster and while its deduplication is good, it is slow and eats CPU and memory. But what it also did was simply stop allowing me to backup system files and configuration, only user level files. It was no longer a good option for decent backups. A migration that lost me a lot of files (via CrashPlan and how it behaved) also had hurt.

MinIO has made a backwards-incompatible change 1.5 years ago, which means I had to move away from my current MinIO setup (which would not have been an easy migration) and stuck as I was I was not getting updates. Updating Duplicati itself also wasn’t comfortable most of the time. Stopping the launchd-started service never was smooth for some reason. And its Windows-heritage always made it somewhat hard for me to understand (i.e. I still do not know what a ‘tray’ is) and my backup stuff should be running in the background (I only use the GUI when changing a setup or when restoring).

A few months back, I decided that all of this meant I should look at the whole backup setup again. A before I had looked at restic which was interesting (after all, if CERN uses it for its backups, it does give you a feeling of trust).

Since a few months I have fully migrated myself and all the other family members to restic (0.16.3). CrashPlan is gone from the server. Duplicati is gone. MinIO is gone. Mono is gone. Restic is not for everyone, as it is command-line only, but for the rest I am rather happy. It is blazingly fast, for one. I have (of course…) created a script that works both on macOS (MacPorts restic) — including setting up launch schedules — and on a Linux machine (now my second server next to a macOS one — don’t ask) using a container restic. I have local backups (both disk and REST) and backups to B2. Everything has been running without a hitch for a few months now.

So, as things stand now I am happy with my more native-unix type of solution. But there will be many more people who will be uncomfortable using a CLI-solution and who need something like Duplicati.

2 Likes

Hi Kenneth,
when 100% open source projects go commercial there are always two considerations:

• the project might change it’s goals an move away from true open source standards and benefits
  • the project will get a more serious foundation for it’s existence in the future and not depend on individuals who have a limited lifetime
    So I’ll accept your message with a tear in one eye and a laugh in the other, while being confident that a REALLY GOOD tool will be available for many more years.
    Michael
1 Like

Backrest is a new web ui for restic. It looks promising.

Very good way to view and respond to a free program.

Congrats !
I wish you all the best
A.

1 Like

Congratulations on Duplicati, Inc. Having started my own software company years ago, I know you’ll find it hard but exhilarating work.

I’m a newcomer to Duplicati who’s looking for an alternative for Time Machine on Win10. I just submitted a question to the Forum. Maybe I missed it, but it would be good for the website to address these seemingly common desires.

Finally, I don’t need much - just the features listed there. More importantly, I don’t want much else: further feature and options just increase the cognitive load for people who are moving from “no-backup” mode to (finally) having one. Thanks, and again, congratulations!

1 Like