Introducing "Duplicati, Inc."

I think the open-source nature is what sets it apart. There is no hidden stuff.
I think the open-source model is also what protects you from having to buy the upgraded version.

I think it would be a significantly different product if it was not possible to make backups to storage of your choice!

I think right now there is a problem with mono and .Net4 being EOL, making it hard to use the source code in the current state. I am working on fixing that and not working on license servers :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I cannot share more details about the company roadmap at this time. I can share that I have some ideas that do not require any changes to the open source project.

I naturally hope this as well, and I am aware that this is a problem if you offer two products.

2 Likes

That is exactly where my internal struggles are. I love the drive of Open Source developers. They are often driven by their community and to make their product work as well as can be. But at the end of the day, it is fair to get rewarded for the time and efforts used.

Very impressive how well it works. Completely agree. This is often found in commercial products.

With you on that oneā€¦ we are trusting our data to commercial products and cloud solutions, for which we have no guarantee they will be around in the future, make a new pricing scheme or force you onto other dependancies just to be able to get hold of your data again.

Yesā€¦ this is what makes Duplicati very strong. You donā€™t have to rely on cloud storage, if you donā€™t wnat to. It was THE alternative for me, when Crashplan disappeared for personal use. I could install storage with friends and family and make off site backups there, much like Crashplan did before. making the backups available to me at any time (even physically), with no extra cost.

True enough. I share your sentiment exactly. But, I hope for the best, and wish Duplicati a bright future :smiley:

2 Likes

Such a great achievement! Congras!

2 Likes

Good luck with the new venture, if you need any UX input, just drop me a line, I love the product, its saved me a few times!

2 Likes

Great news. Its an excellent product. Iā€™d be willing to pay for features as long as they not too expensive!

3 Likes

Great news! BTW, Iā€™d be willing to pay for this program - itā€™s excellent and has save me several times!

2 Likes

I wish you best of luck and good health at the new venture.

Best Regards

Nick

2 Likes

@px5nwss1o00j Thanks for participating in my 5c reply!

Exactly, and tbh you need money to live. So, if you have another source of ā€œpassiveā€ income or a big family estate you can live off, that is awesome! But every student eventually starts a family and need to provide. So, the focus has to shift to money-for-time.

Small open-source projects or open-source modules are easier to maintain since they are small and can easily be worked on with a few spare hours here and there, but large projects with complexities like Duplicati, needs days of free time to be worked on.

Precisely! The problem is backups are a long-term thing, and commercial companies are only interested in making profit, once that dries up, they get creative to gain new income, and we understand that. But that is also why we are thinking ahead and were so excited to see Duplicati enter the arena.

And this exact fact would make a similar solution for a commercial company not worth it. If you can basically bypass any way for them to make money, but you can benefit off their work, they will not be happy. Basically, with Duplicati, you can back up any amount of data (Terabytes) to any type of storage. Local or remote, using any connection LAN, WAN, the Internet.

And if you use something like Radmin VPN (the same as Hamachi but totally free for any number of nodes). This work without needing complicated port forwarding or exposing service to the internet, for example a simple FTP server.

Currently I have other backups running as well. I use pCloud to ā€œreal-timeā€ sync my daily work. Some of my work goes to Google Drive as well, I also have BackBlaze that backup my work laptop. But like with BackBlaze, if you lose your whole laptop (theft or catastrophic failure) I have not nearly a fast enough connection to simply and quickly download my 4 Tb of data in a day or two. But with Duplicati I have a local backup that will be able to restore 3.95Tb of data using local speeds from an external hard drive. And then I can fill any gaps with the other backup options.

My last point is that I use Duplicati to backup commercial data that are not making a profit. If I didnā€™t have it, I would not be able to pay for backups as it will create a money pit (just expenses and no income).

Anyways, I can continue for days, but Iā€™m stretching this out now. Thanks for an awesome project and working product, and we hope that this change will ensure that you can continue this effort for years to come while also making it worth your while!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using Duplicati for years and itā€™s an incredible tool. I appreciate the fact that itā€™s been available as long as it has. Itā€™s a great product with incredible potential. Wish you the best in your new journey!

2 Likes

I hope the project can improve even more with this! I only wish success to the entire team.

2 Likes

I mean I am happy for you. Does this mean you all are FINALLY going to make Duplicati self healing? I am so sick of people saying their backup is broken only to find that they had a problem once that is no longer a problem and they only need to open the interface and press ā€œdismissā€. Or the truly annoying issues that involve mismatches or corruption where the fix COULD BE fully automated that involve simply removing a version layer. It is stuff like this that make Duplcati seem unreliableā€¦ and that is the reason that I have seen SO MANY people move to other products. Duplicati should be doing everything possible to continue doing backups and fixing its own problems. It should not report that there IS a problemā€¦ maybe was a problem without making the icon red. I have said all this beforeā€¦ and I will surely say it again.

3 Likes

Congratz! :metal::rocket:

Personally I found too many small bugs and quite a few ā€œover-complicated actual small adjustment settingsā€ in Duplicati, and moved to a terminal solution, instead. But, a few days ago, I noticed Duplicati was still in one of my container pools, fighting with OneDrive file-conflicts and a stuck backup :joy: (I canā€™t really blame Duplicati for that, I mean, who else offers that advance backup to a OneDrive from a container with a web-UI).

So, for a whole year, Duplicati managed to not break down during container updates and stuff like that. Thats something :sunglasses:!

Iā€™ll follow the development in the next months. It sounds like I should re-consider my original decision. The setup process was also a bit of a deal-breaker for me, compared to restic. Andā€¦ Thatā€™s a CLI solution.

2 Likes

Since around 2020 or 2021 there were some major enhancements implemented that fixed many of the common issues that were happening earlier.

I suggest that you give Duplicati a second chance, as it is much more trustworthy now than some 5 or 6 years ago.

3 Likes

Congrats @kenkendk. A huge win for the FOSS community seeing this transition. I am an OSS contributor and would love to join the Duplicati team as a Developer. Whenever you plan to start hiring just count me in by reaching out to me impranshu.com

2 Likes

Good morning, Iā€™m very pleased that you will put a paid version with additional functions, unfortunately Iā€™m offering it to my customers like this. However, the thing that needs to be resolved is compatibility with the Cubbit cloud. Thanking you, I send my cordial greetings Andrea

2 Likes

Hard to make specific promises, but I promise to improve Duplicati in general!

4 Likes

This is really cool. Maybe u can backup something with it soon! And it will work!

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I would like to try, but I have to wait until Duplicati has a native connection to pCloud. The backup solution that I currently use, has it.

1 Like

Congrats! Looking forward to the future of Duplicati. Best of luck with this new chapter, I hope you find it enjoyable.

2 Likes

Best of luck on this endeavour. Iā€™m afraid you might need it. I used to use Duplicati, storing data in Azure blob, only to find that when I eventually needed to perform a full restore, the client failed with uncatched exceptions. Wrote a fairly detailed description in the forum with offer to debug the issue, but asked for guidance. No reply; zip nada none.
Ended up buying an extra harddrive, download the files manually from Azure, rebuild indexes, so yes; my data got restored, but only after an ardeous fight.
BTW, the indexing process is crazy inefficient, taking minutes to complete after maxing out IOPS on a high perf NVMe drive. This seems algorithmically plain wrong.

The concept of sponsored open source is good, and in normal cases I would support it. But I have just zero confidence in this project and have moved away forever.

2 Likes