How to install Duplicati on Synology / DSM

Hi @bundito, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your data loss. :frowning:

If you are asking about running Duplicati in a Docker container then yes, that’s doable (at least it with for me). I use it to back up my unRAID NAS files to an off-site location.

If you’re wanting to run Duplicati on your Synology box you may find using their package easier to with with than a Docker container.

Of course, there’s no reason you can’t try out both and see which to prefer - just don’t try to share the same destination folder. :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Connection issue on Synology

Installed Duplicati followed by Mono, and did not work.

Tried the other way around too (Removed Duplicati, and installed it again - where Mono was present and running on the system). Restarted the system to give it another chance, but same results.

Details:
DS414 with DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4
Mono 4.6.2-0096 (Beta-version from the official Synology-store)
duplicati-2.0.4.5_beta_2018-11-28.spk

Have you tried the workaround I posted in this thread?

1 Like

Just to flesh this out a bit, does anybody know Synology paths to the Duplicati folders (like for doing a downgrade) or do DSM package not work that way?

Also, have any of you tried uninstalling Duplicati and, if so, were they any left over files needing manual cleanup?

The default location for databases seems to be /root/.config/Duplicati

I ended up redirecting this (by using a symlink) to my 16TB NAS disk volume, as root is only 2.3GB on my NAS.

Thanks!

I could have sworn there was a server parameter to let you specify the “home” folder (as an alternative to a symlink), but I can’t seem to find it now.

On regular Linux there is - you can just modify /etc/default/duplicati. But Synology doesn’t seem to have that equivalent. Symlink seems to work OK for me.

Did you follow the step 3) in the install guide above? The message you see is exactly the symptom if you did not add your user to http group.

Hey, I also have problems with Duplicati on my DS216j running DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4.
I use Mono 4.6.2-0096 and Duplicati 2.0.4.5. And my user is member of http group. So looking at the Threads I found so far here, I should not get the “Connection lost” error. Any idea?

My solution was to have a docker instance with Duplicati, I’m running it with OpenVPN without any problems, you can check my post here : https://community.synology.com/forum/9/post/119463
I didn’t check the “path with spaces” problem.

Hi @kliclick, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for sharing your method of running Duplicati on your NAS. Do you find / feel using A Docker container is any better or worse than a native spk?

I used a Docker container because I couldn’t install a working spk in my Synology (DS1511+). But it took some time for a simple user like me to have all the settings working with the Docker container. A working native spk for me will be much easier to set up. I don’t know how to upgrade the Duplicati version in Docker (never looked for how-to’s in the internet), I don’t know if it’s better in terms of memory usage or other performance specs, etc. I tried the spk first, and I think it’s the easiest way. My answer (I repeat, as “normal” user) is that spk would be better.

DS218 with Mono works with Duplicati

Welcome to the forum, @Michael_Reifenberger !

Beware of using the Mono package from the official Synology package repository. It is an old 4.x version and is not fully compatible with Duplicati 2.0.5.x or newer. I recommend instead using the newer Mono package available here: https://synocommunity.com/

HI All

Thanks for making Duplicati. I’m using it to backup my (virtual) Synology 3615xs to Azure storage.

The package for 2.0.5.1 installed fine (DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 6, Mono 5.20.1.34-13 from SynoCommunity)

I can only access Duplcati within DSM if I access DSM using IP address instead of hostname - which is annoying but workable.
However, it fails to connect to Azure storage (cannot authorize)

My virtual DSM is running as a VM on my unraid host. So I instead installed Duplicati as a docker on unraid. There, it backs up my NAS volumes (using \<share>\folder) to Azure storage just fine - same credentials and details as what I entered on the DSM-installed version on Duplicati.

I also installed it on my WIndows Server VM to test there too. And it also works fine.

I will continue to run on Windows for now as it is working. And Duplcati is 100x faster than using DSM Hyperbackup to azurestorage!

You probably need to set the hostnames field in your Duplicati global settings:

I wonder if it’s a mono certificate issue. Performing a cert-sync may resolve it.

I see you now use a different approach but I thought I’d address those two things…

Ah, thanks! That did it :slight_smile:

Once I fixed up hostnames, and re-started Duplicati from within DSM (using hostname), the azure connection test worked. So not sure why it did not work first time…

Really appreciate the suggestions. I prefer to use within DSM, as the sole purpose of the box is backing up (it runs ActiveBackup for PCs, servers, ms365 and is a backup vault for photos). So I like to keep it all together.

So I recreated my “Photos to Azure” backup job - and pointed it to the same container where I had run my initial job from my Windows install. Duplicati detected the files on the destination and stated it needed to repair the local database. So I’ve kicked that off (about 10,000 “files” need to be updated into the db). If that works and means I can then continue runningthe incremental backups from DSM then Duplicati just went up another notch for me.

Hello,
Sorry but i get “connection to the serveur is lost” message.

I have mono who is running.
I install duplicati 2.0.5.1 from the website
my user is in the http group
But in the synology dsm 6.2 i can’t run duplicati.
I have a DS420+

Any suggestion ?
thanks

What mono version are you using?