How to install Duplicati on Synology / DSM

For de DS213j I don’t remember the first version of test, but I updated to the last (6.2.1-23824-2) and I get the same issue.

For DS918+ with versions 6.1.7-15284 and 6.2.1-23824-2 too.

Thanks

0 Likes

I tested the latest release (2.0.4.5 beta) on a DS211j and a DS218+.

For the DS211j I found that Duplicati didn’t work reliably. Roughly half of the connection attempts with B2 cloud storage failed due to HTTP errors. When a connection did work, starting a backup run already took minutes – that was before the first file started transferring. Lack of space on /tmp further complicated matters. The latter problem could likely have been resolved with some effort. The former couldn’t. I concluded that the DS211j is likely too slow to run Mono/Duplicati.

My attempt with the DS218+ fared much better. Installation was smooth, and I had the first backup running with little effort.

Some comments:

• For both systems, it was necessary to manually install root certificates (instructions)
  • I’ve observed the “Missing XSRF Token” bug with both systems (link)
  • I haven’t checked yet if the restore bug is present on the DS218+, but can report back on this.
0 Likes

DS418play (DSM 6.2.1-23824 update 2) … Installed mono (4.6.2-0096 ) and Duplicati (2.0.4.5) and Duplicati won’t run. Tried to launch using package icon and all I get is “connection to the server is lost”.

Suggestions?

0 Likes

Hi @Random, welcome to the forum!

Can you tell if the connection lost message coming from a Duplicati page or DSM one?

If the Duplicati server is starting then crashing there should be a lot file recoding the error, but in not sure where it would be located on you machine.

0 Likes

I’ve got a “baby” DiskStation - a DS115j - but it’s got 3TB of storage available (I just cleaned out the junk last night). I just lost of bunch of personal data to a drive with a corrupted filesystem, and despite knowing better, I didn’t have a backup system in place. I’m running Manjaro (Arch) LInux, and I’m a developer. Thankfully, I regularly push my code to GitHub, so I can get that stuff back. What’s gone is all my pictures, music, settings, etc. Argh.

It’s really surprising to me that Synology doesn’t have a backup “backend” program that supports Linux. I’m going to keep reading the site (and studying this thread more carefully), but I hope there’s something better than having to manually schedule rsync or rdiff runs myself.

Has anyone tried putting a Linux backup server instance inside a Docker container on a NAS? That thought came to mind, but I’m not a Docker guy, so I’d have some learning to do.

0 Likes

When I’m in Package Manager I see Duplicati… it’s button says “Run” or “Uninstall”. I select run, and after a few seconds the button shows “run” again, instead of stop.

When I use the Duplicati icon (on the installed package dropdown (from DSM in browser tab), a Duplicati window appears with the “connection to the server is lost” message and then a countdown to the next connection attempt is displayed. I doubt there ever was a connection since the Run button is always present in Package Center.

UPDATE: After rebooting the NAS, I can now start Duplicati. Initially there was a popup that said Missing XSRF token, but that is now gone. So… off to experiment…

0 Likes

split this topic #22

A post was split to a new topic: Restore bug on Synology if path has spaces

0 Likes

Hi @bundito, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your data loss. :frowning:

If you are asking about running Duplicati in a Docker container then yes, that’s doable (at least it with for me). I use it to back up my unRAID NAS files to an off-site location.

If you’re wanting to run Duplicati on your Synology box you may find using their package easier to with with than a Docker container.

Of course, there’s no reason you can’t try out both and see which to prefer - just don’t try to share the same destination folder. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

split this topic #24

A post was split to a new topic: Connection issue on Synology

0 Likes

Installed Duplicati followed by Mono, and did not work.

Tried the other way around too (Removed Duplicati, and installed it again - where Mono was present and running on the system). Restarted the system to give it another chance, but same results.

Details:
DS414 with DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4
Mono 4.6.2-0096 (Beta-version from the official Synology-store)
duplicati-2.0.4.5_beta_2018-11-28.spk

0 Likes

2.0.4.5 server appears to be broken on Synology

Have you tried the workaround I posted in this thread?

1 Like

Just to flesh this out a bit, does anybody know Synology paths to the Duplicati folders (like for doing a downgrade) or do DSM package not work that way?

Also, have any of you tried uninstalling Duplicati and, if so, were they any left over files needing manual cleanup?

0 Likes

The default location for databases seems to be /root/.config/Duplicati

I ended up redirecting this (by using a symlink) to my 16TB NAS disk volume, as root is only 2.3GB on my NAS.

0 Likes

Thanks!

I could have sworn there was a server parameter to let you specify the “home” folder (as an alternative to a symlink), but I can’t seem to find it now.

0 Likes

On regular Linux there is - you can just modify /etc/default/duplicati. But Synology doesn’t seem to have that equivalent. Symlink seems to work OK for me.

0 Likes

Did you follow the step 3) in the install guide above? The message you see is exactly the symptom if you did not add your user to http group.

0 Likes

Hey, I also have problems with Duplicati on my DS216j running DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4.
I use Mono 4.6.2-0096 and Duplicati 2.0.4.5. And my user is member of http group. So looking at the Threads I found so far here, I should not get the “Connection lost” error. Any idea?

0 Likes

My solution was to have a docker instance with Duplicati, I’m running it with OpenVPN without any problems, you can check my post here : https://community.synology.com/forum/9/post/119463
I didn’t check the “path with spaces” problem.

0 Likes

Hi @kliclick, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for sharing your method of running Duplicati on your NAS. Do you find / feel using A Docker container is any better or worse than a native spk?

0 Likes

I used a Docker container because I couldn’t install a working spk in my Synology (DS1511+). But it took some time for a simple user like me to have all the settings working with the Docker container. A working native spk for me will be much easier to set up. I don’t know how to upgrade the Duplicati version in Docker (never looked for how-to’s in the internet), I don’t know if it’s better in terms of memory usage or other performance specs, etc. I tried the spk first, and I think it’s the easiest way. My answer (I repeat, as “normal” user) is that spk would be better.

0 Likes