How do you guys check what has been backed up?

Hi all,

As you all understand, sometimes our precious files may be accidentally changed (or intentionally encrypted by a virus). How do you monitor list of files backed up after each backup cycle? Especially remotely.

Thanks for sharing,

The COMPARE command can be run remotely whenever you like, and shows latest changes by default.

Commandline is easy way to see how it goes, however for long-term you can Export as Command-line, editing that from backup to compare syntax. Once that works, you can script it, then use run-script-after.

How (and how often) you get to read the reports is up to you. Where does script output go to (difference between BEFORE and AFTER?) might be one way if you need them in an email. Http has a length limit.

Is it possible to get the backed up files listed in the log?
How I can see what files was added to backup?!

Awesome, thank you, this helped. Iā€™ve converted the script into macOS shell (see here Email list of backed up files).

But it isnā€™t working well because is sends a report every backup run whereas sometimes there are no changes ( = no need to report). How can script-after detect that nothing has been backed up on the current run? Is there an environment variable that hold this value?
See the same question here: How I can see what files was added to backup?! .

Trying to build some logic based on DUPLICATI__RESULTFILE.
How could it be that after two consequent runs Modified files > 0? See trimmed log below.

Modified files:    1
Size of backup 0: 204 bytes
DeletedFiles: 0
DeletedFolders: 0
ModifiedFiles: 0
ExaminedFiles: 1
OpenedFiles: 0
AddedFiles: 0
NotProcessedFiles: 0
AddedFolders: 0
TooLargeFiles: 0
FilesWithError: 0
ModifiedFolders: 0
ModifiedSymlinks: 0
AddedSymlinks: 0
DeletedSymlinks: 0
PartialBackup: False
MainOperation: Backup
ParsedResult: Success
Version: 2.0.5.1 (2.0.5.1_beta_2020-01-18)

Are you looking at the first line? My DUPLICATI__RESULTFILE doesnā€™t have either of your first two.
I donā€™t understand the question anyway. Modified files needs modifying source files, not doing runs.

1 Like

My DUPLICATI__RESULTFILE doesnā€™t have either of your first two.

Oh sorry, my bad. These are two last lines of ā€œcompareā€. My bad, forgot to add a line break, and confused myself :slight_smile:

I donā€™t understand the question anyway.

The question is: is there a simple way for run-script-after to figure out whether the current backup operation has found any changes?

Probably not simpler than looking at stats. It seems like it should be pretty simple, e.g. does this give 5?

egrep --count ā€˜^(DeletedFiles: 0|DeletedFolders: 0|ModifiedFiles: 0|AddedFiles: 0|AddedFolders: 0)$ā€™

Why was ā€œcurrentā€ italicized? run-script-after gets stats for current backup, meaning the one that just ran.

One effect of no change is that no new backup version is made unless upload-unchanged-backups is set. Figuring that out might be harder than looking at stats, which shell code could perhaps also handle for you.

1 Like

Probably not simpler than looking at stats. It seems like it should be pretty simple, e.g. does this give 5?

Awesome, together we did it :slight_smile:

Have a look at the most recent version (Email list of backed up files - #2 by Haron).

Probably worth moving to HowTo.

Why was ā€œcurrentā€ italicized? run-script-after gets stats for current backup, meaning the one that just ran.

Just to make it clear that Iā€™m talking about backup operation context, not compare operation.