How do I set up Duplicati in Windows Task Scheduler?

How exactly would one go about setting up the Task Scheduler?

In Windows 10 you could:

1. set up the backup using the Duplicati Web GUI
  2. export the backup job “As Command-line” and copy the results
  3. do a Windows / Cortana search for and run “Task Scheduler” (not Task Manager)
  4. in the Actions menu on the right click on “Create basic task”
  5. give it a name (such as “Duplicati XXX backup”) where XXX is the name of your job and click the Next button
  6. select how you want the task to be triggered (such as Daily) and click the Next button
  7. fill in the details for the trigger type (if applicable) and click the Next button
  8. select and Action of “Start a program” and click the Next button
  9. in “Program/script” paste "C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.CommandLine.exe" (or whatever your Command-line begins with)
    a. in “Add arguments (optional)” paste the REST of your Command-line (everything after CommandLine.exe)
    b. click the Next button
  10. click the Finish button

There are other ways to do this, of course - but hopefully that will be enough to get you started! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Something has happened to the arguments in Task Scheduler, because now my previously-working task is not able to save. I get an error when trying to save the task that says, “An error has occurred for task Run Duplicati. Error Message: One or more of the specified arguments are not valid.”

I went in to change some settings, but can’t save the task because of the error message above. Even when I leave all the settings the same, I get the error above. I have to cancel out of the task to exit.

I have copied the command into the cmd and it runs like it is supposed to. Can someone help me out? See the command below. Is there something I am missing?

“C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.CommandLine.exe” backup “file://N:~~Backup~~\File Backups\Clay\” “C:\Users\” --send-mail-url=smtps://smtp.gmail.com:465 --send-mail-any-operation=true --send-mail-to="xxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com" --send-mail-username="xxxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com" --send-mail-password=xxxxxxxxxxxxx --send-mail-from="xxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com" --accept-any-ssl-certificate=true --send-mail-subject=“”“Duplicati %PARSEDRESULT%, %OPERATIONNAME% report for %backup-name%”“” --log-file-log-level=Warning --backup-name=“STAT107 Clay’s Laptop” --dbpath=“C:\Users\STAT107\AppData\Local\Duplicati\xxxxxxxxx.sqlite” --encryption-module=aes --compression-module=zip --dblock-size=50mb --passphrase=xxxxxxxxxx --retention-policy=“1W:1D,4W:1W,12M:1M” --send-http-url=https://www.duplicati-monitoring.com/log/whitenack/xxxxxxxxxxx/4285 --disable-module=console-password-input --exclude=“C:\Users\STAT107\NTUSER.DAT” --exclude=“C:\Users\STAT107\ntuser.dat.LOG1” --exclude=“C:\Users\STAT107\ntuser.dat.LOG2” --exclude=“C:\Users\STAT107\AppData\Local\” --exclude=“C:\Users\STAT107\AppData\Roaming\Resilio Sync\” --exclude=“C:\Users\administrator\” --exclude=“C:\Users\clayw\” --exclude=“C:\Users\QBDataServiceUser27\”

Nevermind. It wasn’t an issue with Duplicati. I realized all my tasks were doing that. Found out there must be a bug with Windows right now and I had to change my user information inside the task to make it run correctly.

Thank you for your instruction. I follow all steps but I have 0x64 code in a result. Backup does not work if windows user profile is logged out. It set up to run with a high priority and with a user logged on or not. Any thoughts?

Hello @Zheka, welcome to the forum!

Is the a text description of the error song r with the 0x64 code?

Also, what version of Windows are you running?

Is there a reason you are using Windows Task Scheduler instead of Duplicati built in scheduler?

Hello,

No error description.

Windows 10

I have a computer with Duplicati with multiple user on it and the reason I want to use Windows Task Scheduler is that I need it to run under not logged in user.

Thanks!

When I get the time I’ll test on my Windows box. Is there a reason running Duplicati as a service won’t work for you?

Duplicati set up up as a back up on one user profile on my computer and there are other users who do not have access to that profile and if computer is restarted without me then Duplicati does not run because Duplicati user profile is not logged in.