Having troubles recovering a backup

Sorry for the vague title however I’m not entirely sure what’s happening and was wondering how I could extract a backup using CLI tools outside of Duplicati. I’ve downloaded the contents of my backup (from S3) to my local drive and have tried recovering it that way however Duplicati seems to hang until it eventually fails. I was thinking that perhaps my backup is too large? Many files and a few TB but I’m not sure how likely that is.

To aid in debugging, how can I recover a backup from CLI ideally without using Duplicati?

A bit more info here:

root@duplicati:/app/duplicati# mono Duplicati.CommandLine.RecoveryTool.exe restore /source/backup_old/ 0 --targetpath="/source/backup/" --passphrase=""
Sorting index file ... done!
Program crashed:
System.Exception: Unable to create aes decompressor on file /source/backup_old/duplicati-20201201T030000Z.dlist.zip.aes
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Volumes.VolumeReaderBase.LoadCompressor (System.String compressor, System.IO.Stream stream, Duplicati.Library.Main.Options options) [0x00034] in <8f1de655bd1240739a78684d845cecc8>:0
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Volumes.VolumeReaderBase.UpdateOptionsFromManifest (System.String compressor, System.String file, Duplicati.Library.Main.Options options) [0x0000a] in <8f1de655bd1240739a78684d845cecc8>:0
  at Duplicati.CommandLine.RecoveryTool.Restore.Run (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] args, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] options, Duplicati.Library.Utility.IFilter filter) [0x0012e] in <e9be12affb6f47979004129a9a3a1473>:0
  at Duplicati.CommandLine.RecoveryTool.Program.RealMain (System.String[] _args) [0x00286] in <e9be12affb6f47979004129a9a3a1473>:0
Update "2.0.6.1_beta_2021-05-03" detected
root@duplicati:/app/duplicati#

And I’ve successfully validated and opened a valid zip file after decrypting it with SharpAESCrypt.exe

root@duplicati:/app/duplicati# mono SharpAESCrypt.exe d4 "secret" /source/backup_old/duplicati-i6f5e8d1c75394e24a0b48da306b2b92c.dindex.zip.aes /root/test.zip
root@duplicati:/root# unzip test.zip
Archive:  test.zip
  inflating: manifest
  inflating: vol/duplicati-b79cd5000edd246cd85b0a997f101c503.dblock.zip.aes
root@duplicati:/root# cat manifest
{"Version":2,"Created":"20200614T031700Z","Encoding":"utf8","Blocksize":102400,"BlockHash":"SHA256","FileHash":"SHA256","AppVersion":"2.0.5.1"}
root@duplicati:/root#

Welcome to the forum @Alex_Turner

is the last step of several steps that I suspect weren’t done. The decryption happens at
Downloading all remote files using the Recovery Tool. For an overview of the steps, see
Recovering by using the Duplicati Recovery tool or run RecoveryTool’s help command.

If CLI RecoveryTool is not independent enough, see below for a little-used Python script:

Independent restore program

Heya, Alex:

Running into the same challenge as you seem to have encountered. All the files seem to be there (dindex, dlist and dblock for each data), but Duplicati throws the “unable to create zip” error, regardless where I set the temp file directory.

What might you have found as a solution?

Thanks in advance.

This was not mentioned previously. Are you using Duplicati.CommandLine.RecoveryTool.exe too?

Note that the post above yours mentions some steps that had to be done but were seemingly not done.
I’m not sure if the original poster will spot your remark. You might need to @-mention, or use the Reply
button to the right of a post in order to send an email to somebody who’s not actively reading the forum.

Apologies…replied more fully in my other thread. The issue seems to have been that the recovery process altered the original filenames such that (I imagine) the unzip process was failing on some manner of bad name. I removed the suffixes from the file names and progress was made.

Thanks much for the review of my issue.

1 Like