Glacier, Azure or another "cold" cloud backup - recommendations?

When you install pCloud it installs a virtual disk drive on your machine that mounts in your ~/ directory. That is your pCloud storage.

There’s also a real-time sync facility in the Linux pCloud utility program but it did not work well for me. So, daily rsync.

1 Like

Thanks. Does this work with headless Linux box as well?
I am using Openmediavault (Debian based) as NAS OS.

It’s accessible via CLI so should not be a problem.

Perfect. Thanks again.

Not sure what’s happening there. My initial 800gb backup to B2 took a few days at most - and I added portions at a time (music collection, then other stuff, etc). This was all through Duplicati of course. I haven’t used the Backblaze client so maybe there’s some sort of bottleneck there?

Hello again,
I have been uploading with Duplicati to B2 for a week now, and some questions came up:

1. Is there any way to pause or throttle the application automatically during working hours while it’s still seeding the backup? (I understand Duplicati will run at, say 8 pm every day if I set it so, once the initial backup is done. But right now i pause it manually in the morning and forget to turn it on at night.) (Or would the "run at 8 pm option resume the pause seed as well, which would be a good enough option for me?)
  2. Can I seed a backup manually from one computer and then “take it over” on another? Case in point: 200 GB of images on one Mac. I could copy them on an external hard drive, take them to university, and upload quite fast. But how would I then “connect” the original files/machine with the backup?
  3. Can I ever unscramble the backup with any app other than Duplicati? And/or switch apps, if I wanted to? Not that I’m unhappy, I just want to understand what’s possible and what’s not. I used to use Crashplan, and about once a year I was very happy that I could access the backup elsewhere through there iPhone-App. Would anything like that be possible (with the right apps) with the backup encrypted and uploaded by Duplicati?

Thanks, Ulrich

Via the GUI your only option is to adjust the throttle options manually:

At least one user appears to have automated pausing of the backup here Backups only during a certain time frame? - #5 by clarityoffline

Absolutely! There are already a few topics about it at Possible to relink an existing backup store (for pre-seeding purposes) and Initial backup to USB then WebDAV. If they can’t help you get it going let us know. :slight_smile:

Technically yes you could as Duplicati doesn’t specifically “hide” anything it’s doing, but the versioning and deduplication process involves chopping files up into smaller (usually 100k) chunks so if a third part tool wanted to access the backups it would need to:

1. know the encryption pasphrase
  2. have access to the archive files
  3. understand how the individual file blocks are stored and reference (can be gleaned from the archive files but can also be directly looked up in the local .sqlite database)

But as far as I know there are no tools that do that at the moment. However, I’m sure you’d make some people quite happy if you started an Android or iOS app to be able to read Duplicati archives… :wink:

There is a Python script here that can restore your files without Duplicati (it is also stored on non-Duplicati accounts): duplicati/Tools/Commandline/RestoreFromPython at master · duplicati/duplicati · GitHub

3 Likes

As it’s not your tool I wouldn’t think actually documenting how to use it would make sense, but is it something that should be mentioned or referenced in the manual / documentation?

I think the tool should be mentioned in a manual.