Fatal error during backup to Synology via UNC share

Running a backup to my Synology (model 215j) returns the following error:

Fatal error
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file '\\synology\shared\dup-test\wut\duplicati-b9c33061c535340c8b4fa07537a9101be.dblock.zip.aes'.
File name: '\\synology\shared\dup-test\wut\duplicati-b9c33061c535340c8b4fa07537a9101be.dblock.zip.aes'
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager.List()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.RemoteListAnalysis(BackendManager backend, Options options, LocalDatabase database, IBackendWriter log, String protectedfile)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.VerifyRemoteList(BackendManager backend, Options options, LocalDatabase database, IBackendWriter log, String protectedfile)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.PostBackupVerification()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run(String[] sources, IFilter filter)

Running the same backup to a second HDD in my PC does not give this error.

Note that I ran this test from Windows 10 PRO X64 version 1709 and using Duplicati 2.0.2.12 Canary

Has anybody seen this error too when backing up to a Synology or any other NAS?

How are you connecting? I know you have to be careful with the path. There is a post somewhere where I give the path when you use ssh or ftp. It’s a bit different than you would expect.

There are some suggestions.

Hi Wim, thanks for the suggestion but I’ve tried several options, including one with forward slashes rather than back slashes and even the drive letter for the mapped share but in all cases I get the following error:

Fatal error
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file '//192.168.1.199/shared/dup-test/duplicati-bf2a408dbc47049689c6969ae7d17528e.dblock.zip.aes'.
File name: '//192.168.1.199/shared/dup-test/duplicati-bf2a408dbc47049689c6969ae7d17528e.dblock.zip.aes'
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager.List()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.RemoteListAnalysis(BackendManager backend, Options options, LocalDatabase database, IBackendWriter log, String protectedfile)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor.VerifyRemoteList(BackendManager backend, Options options, LocalDatabase database, IBackendWriter log, String protectedfile)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.PostBackupVerification()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run(String[] sources, IFilter filter)

So, I’ve decided to give up to backup to the Synology but I now backup to a 2nd HDD in my PC and then use BVCKUP2 to copy the files to my Synology. From there, Cloud Sync will upload the files to StackStorage. It seems that backing up to a network share needs some more homework.

I never tried with network share. I don’t want to expose my NAS that way to reduce impact of ransomware.

Did you try webdav or ssh or sftp or …?

But it should work. If I have some time I’ll give it a test. You are on the same network, right?

Hi, I’ve tried it with FTP and that is working, WEBDAV I did not try.
I understand why you don’t want to expose your NAS to ransomware but I also have RansomOff installed and that tool should also protect network drives.
And yes, I’m on the same home network.

I edited your post to improve the formating. (Just added ~~~ before and after the output you pasted, please see here for details).

Does the file exist on the Synology box if you look via the DSM tools?

Also, the local database has a table called “RemoteOperation”, you can look at that and see what Duplicati has seen. For the “LIST” operations you can see what files were reported, and hopefully this will at least pinpoint WHEN the file went missing.

Hi, I’ve already changed to FTP mode to copy the files to my NAS (which works very fine).
Apologies I cannot provide you with the requested information.

No need to apologize, we’re just happy to hear you got things working! :slight_smile:

I hope you don’t mind but I went ahead and adjusted the topic title to reflect that the issue seemed to be UNC share specific.

1 Like