Failure to restore from Wasabi

Hi,

I backed up a laptop to Wasabi cloud and the laptop was stolen. in the bucket on Wasabi is only .dblock and .dindex zip files. No list files. So when trying to restore I get the error “Failed to connect: No filesets found on remote target” the commandline wont restore and the recovery tool creates an index and then also can’t restore.

I’ve read that I can repair but it says there’s no files in the remote location.

What can I do?

Welcome to the forum @Louis_Matthee

This is a big problem. How many backups do you think you did, and did any of them finish backing up?
You would be able to see this several ways, e.g. watching the status bar, looking at the backup log, etc.
Presumably there is no database either? By default it would be in user profile for the laptop that’s gone.

Does Wasabi allow sorting of files by date? If not, third-party tools can. What are the latest files, and is there what seems to be a continuous flow of files from the earliest file to the latest file, i.e. one backup?
To complete the backup, the dlist file is uploaded. Without a dlist or DB, there’s no info on the files.

Hi, I don’t know how many backups or if it finished but from what you are saying it seems there is one continuous backup judging by the times and that it probably never finished.

Is there any way to recover anything from the block files

“Anything”, yes, but it would be minimal and difficult. At default settings, files of 100 KB or less should be in one dblock, so would be recognizable if you looked through all the blocks after extracting them from dblock files. Each one will have a unique name based on content. The dindex files not only say which dblock file a given block is in, but also have some information on how to assemble longer files that you can review. The main difficulty with that is that I can’t think of any official tool to help assemble blocks into nameless files…

How the backup process works describes a bit about what backup files look like, including multi-block files.

How technical are you? There’s an Independent restore program in Python that might be adaptable for this. Generally, a long file has a path in the dlist that then refers to a blocklist which usually has info in the dindex (I think). It might be possible to work from the dindex files and just assign some sort of name to all the files.

I sort of recall some other (rather impressive) forum effort at code-it-yourself tooling. I’ll see if I can find it…

Comments on attempting any of this? I can advise a bit, but can’t write tools for you.

I found the forum topic that I was thinking of. It started with nothing but dblock and dindex then found a DB .
Restore Backup with only dblock and dindex files. Unfortunately I think the final tool relied on using the DB.

@Sparx82 Any thoughts on how to get something back without a dlist file or DB? I see I had suggested building a dlist file from dindex info which could then help a more normal tool (without having to hack on it).