Error during auto backup

hi,

i’m using Duplicati - 2.0.7.1_beta_2023-05-25 on windows.

during my auto save today, i got the message:

Error while running Automatic save
Failed to decrypt data (invalid passphrase?): Message has been altered, do not trust content

i checked in my auto save settings and the password is the good (i have him saved in my 1password but i put him by copy/paste last time i create the job so some months ago and i didn’t touch him since this moment.

someone have an idea to fix it ?

This seems like there might be some corruption in the backup files.

You can run verify files on the backup if you expand the entry on the main page. If that also returns an error, there is the test command from the command line. You can use it from the UI if you click on Commandline. Then replace all the paths in command line arguments with the number of different files to test. Because it seems like the last version is broken, add --version=1 to the advanced options to test the previous version.

If only the last version is broken, this might be due to a connection or filesystem error (depends on what backend you use). Then the next backup might work again, although it is a bit concerning.

the verify didn’t get error but today the backup get the same in my previous post

Did you happen to notice (or is it fast enough that you can look) what the status line at page top said?
For a more relaxed experience, About → Show log → Live → Information might also show where it is.
Using the Command line tools from within the Graphical User Interface is another way to see the trail.

What destination storage type has the backup files? You might have some bad ones found sometimes when a download is attempted, and there are at least two possible places where files get downloaded:

Compacting files at the backend (which can also be explorered by using the GUI Compact now button)
Verifying backend files (which is sampled verification, just like The TEST command, so runs may vary).
Both samples can be expanded, but the time it will take for a full check depends on what destination is.

i have this in About → Show log → Live → Information

the 2 1st expanded are:

the destination is same since i use duplicati : a pcloud drive folder and i have this problem since 2 days.

do you want i try to compatct ?

This is reverse-chronological, so needed clues (before retrying) need you to scroll screen down.
You can possibly get a more compact historical view of history at <job> → Show log → Remote.
Seeing it do two dblock Get make me think this might be compact, but need some more context.

At least you now know a name of one broken file. You can (if you like) download it for inspection.
AES Crypt is a GUI tool you can use to try to decrypt it, or you can use CLI SharpAESCrypt.exe.

If it’s compact, that’s only occasional.

You can try. It might do the same thing on the same file. Or you could backup with no-auto-compact.
If that works, then some older file is damaged, but the random sampling hadn’t noticed the issue yet.
Can you easily find the date on the file that wouldn’t download, e.g. from whatever tools pCloud has?

here the full log with details for items i have i got today when i got the same error:

3 juil. 2023 14:23: L’opération Backup a échoué avec l’erreur : Échec du déchiffrement des données (phrase de passe invalide ?) : Message has been altered, do not trust content
{“ClassName”:“System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException”,“Message”:“Échec du déchiffrement des données (phrase de passe invalide ?) : Message has been altered, do not trust content”,“Data”:null,“InnerException”:{“ClassName”:“SharpAESCrypt.SharpAESCrypt+HashMismatchException”,“Message”:“Message has been altered, do not trust content”,“Data”:null,“InnerException”:null,“HelpURL”:null,“StackTraceString”:" à SharpAESCrypt.SharpAESCrypt.Read(Byte buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Utility.Utility.CopyStream(Stream source, Stream target, Boolean tryRewindSource, Byte buf)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Encryption.EncryptionBase.Decrypt(Stream input, Stream output)“,“RemoteStackTraceString”:null,“RemoteStackIndex”:0,“ExceptionMethod”:“8\nRead\nSharpAESCrypt, Version=1.3.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null\nSharpAESCrypt.SharpAESCrypt\nInt32 Read(Byte, Int32, Int32)”,“HResult”:-2146233296,“Source”:“SharpAESCrypt”,“WatsonBuckets”:null},“HelpURL”:null,“StackTraceString”:” à Duplicati.Library.Main.AsyncDownloader.AsyncDownloaderEnumerator.AsyncDownloadedFile.get_TempFile()\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.CompactHandler.DoCompact(LocalDeleteDatabase db, Boolean hasVerifiedBackend, IDbTransaction& transaction, BackendManager sharedBackend)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.DeleteHandler.DoRun(LocalDeleteDatabase db, IDbTransaction& transaction, Boolean hasVerifiedBackend, Boolean forceCompact, BackendManager sharedManager)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.CompactIfRequired(BackendManager backend, Int64 lastVolumeSize)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.d__20.MoveNext()\r\n— Fin de la trace de la pile à partir de l’emplacement précédent au niveau duquel l’exception a été levée —\r\n à System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n à CoCoL.ChannelExtensions.WaitForTaskOrThrow(Task task)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.b__0(BackupResults result)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.RunAction[T](T result, String& paths, IFilter& filter, Action`1 method)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.Backup(String inputsources, IFilter filter)\r\n à Duplicati.Server.Runner.Run(IRunnerData data, Boolean fromQueue)",“RemoteStackTraceString”:null,“RemoteStackIndex”:0,“ExceptionMethod”:“8\nget_TempFile\nDuplicati.Library.Main, Version=2.0.7.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null\nDuplicati.Library.Main.AsyncDownloader+AsyncDownloaderEnumerator+AsyncDownloadedFile\nDuplicati.Library.Utility.TempFile get_TempFile()”,“HResult”:-2146233296,“Source”:“Duplicati.Library.Main”,“WatsonBuckets”:null}

3 juil. 2023 14:23: Fatal error
{“ClassName”:“System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException”,“Message”:“Échec du déchiffrement des données (phrase de passe invalide ?) : Message has been altered, do not trust content”,“Data”:null,“InnerException”:{“ClassName”:“SharpAESCrypt.SharpAESCrypt+HashMismatchException”,“Message”:“Message has been altered, do not trust content”,“Data”:null,“InnerException”:null,“HelpURL”:null,“StackTraceString”:" à SharpAESCrypt.SharpAESCrypt.Read(Byte buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Utility.Utility.CopyStream(Stream source, Stream target, Boolean tryRewindSource, Byte buf)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Encryption.EncryptionBase.Decrypt(Stream input, Stream output)“,“RemoteStackTraceString”:null,“RemoteStackIndex”:0,“ExceptionMethod”:“8\nRead\nSharpAESCrypt, Version=1.3.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null\nSharpAESCrypt.SharpAESCrypt\nInt32 Read(Byte, Int32, Int32)”,“HResult”:-2146233296,“Source”:“SharpAESCrypt”,“WatsonBuckets”:null},“HelpURL”:null,“StackTraceString”:” à Duplicati.Library.Main.AsyncDownloader.AsyncDownloaderEnumerator.AsyncDownloadedFile.get_TempFile()\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.CompactHandler.DoCompact(LocalDeleteDatabase db, Boolean hasVerifiedBackend, IDbTransaction& transaction, BackendManager sharedBackend)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.DeleteHandler.DoRun(LocalDeleteDatabase db, IDbTransaction& transaction, Boolean hasVerifiedBackend, Boolean forceCompact, BackendManager sharedManager)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.CompactIfRequired(BackendManager backend, Int64 lastVolumeSize)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.d__20.MoveNext()\r\n— Fin de la trace de la pile à partir de l’emplacement précédent au niveau duquel l’exception a été levée —\r\n à System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n à CoCoL.ChannelExtensions.WaitForTaskOrThrow(Task task)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.b__0(BackupResults result)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.RunAction[T](T result, String& paths, IFilter& filter, Action`1 method)\r\n à Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.Backup(String inputsources, IFilter filter)\r\n à Duplicati.Server.Runner.Run(IRunnerData data, Boolean fromQueue)",“RemoteStackTraceString”:null,“RemoteStackIndex”:0,“ExceptionMethod”:“8\nget_TempFile\nDuplicati.Library.Main, Version=2.0.7.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null\nDuplicati.Library.Main.AsyncDownloader+AsyncDownloaderEnumerator+AsyncDownloadedFile\nDuplicati.Library.Utility.TempFile get_TempFile()”,“HResult”:-2146233296,“Source”:“Duplicati.Library.Main”,“WatsonBuckets”:null}

3 juil. 2023 14:23: Backend event: Get - Started: duplicati-b0e1aeb6f6c024f20abc30db8db6ad710.dblock.zip.aes (99,97 MB)

3 juil. 2023 14:23: Failed to retrieve file duplicati-b878bdb456f93454ca89844a2dd02f68a.dblock.zip.aes

3 juil. 2023 14:23: Backend event: Get - Failed: duplicati-b878bdb456f93454ca89844a2dd02f68a.dblock.zip.aes (99,92 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:23: Backend event: Get - Started: duplicati-b878bdb456f93454ca89844a2dd02f68a.dblock.zip.aes (99,92 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:23: Backend event: Get - Retrying: duplicati-b878bdb456f93454ca89844a2dd02f68a.dblock.zip.aes (99,92 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:23: Backend event: Get - Started: duplicati-b878bdb456f93454ca89844a2dd02f68a.dblock.zip.aes (99,92 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:23: Backend event: Get - Retrying: duplicati-b878bdb456f93454ca89844a2dd02f68a.dblock.zip.aes (99,92 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:22: Backend event: Get - Started: duplicati-b878bdb456f93454ca89844a2dd02f68a.dblock.zip.aes (99,92 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:22: Backend event: Get - Retrying: duplicati-b878bdb456f93454ca89844a2dd02f68a.dblock.zip.aes (99,92 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:21: Backend event: Get - Started: duplicati-b878bdb456f93454ca89844a2dd02f68a.dblock.zip.aes (99,92 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:21: Backend event: Get - Completed: duplicati-b0777d5d0025c48e7823ef8e1f340d322.dblock.zip.aes (99,91 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:21: Backend event: Get - Started: duplicati-b0777d5d0025c48e7823ef8e1f340d322.dblock.zip.aes (99,91 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:21: Compacting because there are 128,22 MB in small volumes and the volume size is 100,00 MB
3 juil. 2023 14:18: Deleted 1 remote fileset(s)
3 juil. 2023 14:18: Backend event: Delete - Completed: duplicati-20230602T120002Z.dlist.zip.aes (28,29 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:18: Backend event: Delete - Started: duplicati-20230602T120002Z.dlist.zip.aes (28,29 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:15: Deleting 1 remote fileset(s) …
3 juil. 2023 14:15: Backend event: Put - Completed: duplicati-20230703T120002Z.dlist.zip.aes (28,36 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:15: Backend event: Put - Started: duplicati-20230703T120002Z.dlist.zip.aes (28,36 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:15: Backend event: Put - Completed: duplicati-i31ad78fbf2514b93851322e4a0770396.dindex.zip.aes (52,76 KB)
3 juil. 2023 14:15: Backend event: Put - Started: duplicati-i31ad78fbf2514b93851322e4a0770396.dindex.zip.aes (52,76 KB)
3 juil. 2023 14:14: Backend event: Put - Completed: duplicati-b5312772c77a74b5f90740f8836b8152e.dblock.zip.aes (26,99 MB)
3 juil. 2023 14:14: Backend event: Put - Started: duplicati-b5312772c77a74b5f90740f8836b8152e.dblock.zip.aes (26,99 MB)

I got the error every day so isn’t occasional and my last backup with success was 30/06/2023.

i create a bug_report file if you want because i’m not good with database so if need i can share it with you. (about 1Go)

This confirms that it was in the compact after the backup. Good news is you got a backup done. That generally ends with the dlist file upload. Bad news is you have at least one seemingly damaged file, meaning backup might have some damage you would find on a restore. This should get taken care of.

Disaster Recovery is an overview. You’re likely in the “corrupted backup files” section, although it’d be slightly more certain if you actually tried to decrypt the file, as described. You could also survey further.
The TEST command describes that. Most thorough is the “all” if you can stand that long a download…

Using the Command line tools from within the Graphical User Interface is a convenient place to do that assuming you don’t mind typing up Duplicati GUI (for example no scheduled backups) until it’s finished.

You can think about your backup size and your download speed. Add time for Duplicati’s check as well.

Or you could get warmed up by deleting (or hiding) the known bad file and doing the list-broken-files described to see what’s going to happen when you run purge-broken-files. There’s no telling if there might be other damaged files without looking, but you can look gradually if you don’t mind a lingering hazard and distributed verification slowdowns as opposed to one complete verification. Given history, backup-test-percentage should probably be raised for awhile in case this sort of damage may repeat.

That wasn’t the point. The point was that The COMPACT command doesn’t always run because it has configurable (as well as default) thresholds. After the thresholds are first met, though, they remain met. Were the compact able to run, it would probably then revert to occasional until thresholds met again…

You can put it somewhere and post a link. It might show something about how the bad file got that way, however it won’t decrypt the suspect bad file. If it’s genuinely bad, then it’s bad, and some data got lost.

here the bug report file: https://drive.proton.me/urls/A10XVEGSPG#XNntos6tsvsI

when i expand my backup job and click on command line, I got the setting of my current job but in add option at the end i can’t find list-broken-files or purge-broken-files

It’s not an option. It’s a Command, available from dropdown at top of page.

ty :slight_smile:

the list-broken-files give me:

Found 8 commands but expected 1, commands:
"file://E:\Backups\MSI"
"C:\User Manual"
"C:\Users\Breat.1password"
"C:\Users\Breat.config"
"C:\Users\Breat.VirtualBox"
"C:\Users\Breat.vscode"
"C:\Users\Breat\AppData"
"D:\Breat"
Return code: 200

Syntax of different commands varies. When changing the command, match new syntax.
In this case, clear out the listed items. They are in Commandline arguments box, right?

backup command syntax from the manual is where it starts:

Duplicati.CommandLine.exe backup <storage-URL> "<source-path>" [<options>]

list-broken-files is

Duplicati.CommandLine.exe list-broken-files <storage-URL> [<options>]

so source paths have to be removed. If you’re lucky, irrelevant options are just ignored…

i have this when i click on command line:

Image confirms, so delete them from box.

i need clean the “command line arguments” box ?

Yes. You didn’t show the whole box, but that’s exactly line-for-line what the errors were about, right?

How did that Target URL of a local destination get there? You said it went to pCloud.

ok i cleaned it and run and got this:

ErrorID: FiltersAreNotSupportedForListBrokenFiles
Filters are not supported for this operation
Return code: 100

if i understand well, i need clean my exclude paths and files in backup job in command line view ?

i have many more under theses ones

if i cleaned them, they stay in the real backup job ?

Nothing on the screen changes the backup job configuration. You need to edit the job to do that.
This is temporary setup for one time use to run a command. This one doesn’t like those options.

file://E:\Backups\MSI\ in the Target URL was my prior question. Maybe it’s a pCloud drive?
I’d forgotten that there’s no direct support for pCloud, I think. So are all of your files visible there?

The one suspect file looks like it dates to the original backup on Jan 30. Nothing looks suspicious
looking at the DB bug report, some history has 30-days aged off, and yet file content may be bad.
You’ll have to decrypt if you want to confirm, but there’s a good chance it’s genuinely bad content.

EDIT:

Apparently pCloud has both a Drive and a Sync. Regardless, one more step that may have failed.