Duplicati crash after running backup

Hi,

Running Duplicati 2.0.5.1_beta_2020-01-18 on Synology Nas. Installed yesterday.
I now have the issue that everytime I run a backup, it seems to work ok. But when it gets to the step “verifying files” I get a connection lost issue. When trying to refresh the browser, I get a warning that the service is down.
I tried to follow this up via SSH. It seems that the job is closed. Following stacktrace appears:

* Assertion at ../../../mono/mini/local-propagation.c:330, condition `ins->opcode > MONO_CEE_LAST' not met

Stacktrace:

at <unknown> <0xffffffff>
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2<string, int>.Insert (string,int,bool) <0x00066>
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2<string, int>.Add (string,int) <0x0001b>
  at MimeKit.Utils.CharsetUtils.AddAliases (System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2<string, int>,int,int,string[]) <0x0006c>
  at MimeKit.Utils.CharsetUtils..cctor () <0x0028b>
  at (wrapper runtime-invoke) object.runtime_invoke_void (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0x0005a>
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) object.__icall_wrapper_mono_generic_class_init (intptr) <0x00051>
  at MimeKit.ParserOptions..ctor () <0x000cb>
  at MimeKit.ParserOptions..cctor () <0x00077>
  at (wrapper runtime-invoke) object.runtime_invoke_void (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0x0005a>
  at Duplicati.Library.Modules.Builtin.SendMail.SendMessage (string,string) <0x00157>
  at Duplicati.Library.Modules.Builtin.ReportHelper.OnFinish (object) <0x0074e>
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.OnOperationComplete (object) <0x0029a>
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.RunAction<T_REF> (T_REF,string[]&,Duplicati.Library.Utility.IFilter&,System.Action`1<T_REF>) <0x00733>
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.Backup (string[],Duplicati.Library.Utility.IFilter) <0x002fb>
  at Duplicati.Server.Runner.Run (Duplicati.Server.Runner/IRunnerData,bool) <0x0112f>
  at Duplicati.Server.Program/<>c.<SetWorkerThread>b__45_0 (Duplicati.Server.Runner/IRunnerData) <0x00017>
  at Duplicati.Library.Utility.WorkerThread`1<Tx_REF>.Runner () <0x005c6>
  at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context (object) <0x0009a>
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext,System.Threading.ContextCallback,object,bool) <0x001c6>
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext,System.Threading.ContextCallback,object,bool) <0x00020>
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext,System.Threading.ContextCallback,object) <0x00059>
  at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart () <0x0002e>
  at (wrapper runtime-invoke) object.runtime_invoke_void__this__ (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0x000c8>

Native stacktrace:

/volume1/@appstore/Mono/usr/local/bin/mono-sgen() [0x4ae915]
	/lib/libpthread.so.0(+0x101c0) [0x7eff07d101c0]
	/lib/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x37) [0x7eff0777d907]
	/lib/libc.so.6(abort+0x16a) [0x7eff0777ecda]
	/volume1/@appstore/Mono/usr/local/bin/mono-sgen() [0x6423d9]
	/volume1/@appstore/Mono/usr/local/bin/mono-sgen() [0x6425df]
	/volume1/@appstore/Mono/usr/local/bin/mono-sgen() [0x642726]
	/volume1/@appstore/Mono/usr/local/bin/mono-sgen() [0x47f0a4]
	/volume1/@appstore/Mono/usr/local/bin/mono-sgen() [0x4f8560]
	/volume1/@appstore/Mono/usr/local/bin/mono-sgen() [0x4f8e29]
	/volume1/@appstore/Mono/usr/local/bin/mono-sgen() [0x4273ba]
	/volume1/@appstore/Mono/usr/local/bin/mono-sgen() [0x4b018f]
	/volume1/@appstore/Mono/usr/local/bin/mono-sgen() [0x4b0b0f]
	[0x413e478c]

Debug info from gdb:

=================================================================
Got a SIGABRT while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries 
used by your application.
=================================================================

Judging from the stacktrace the problem is caused by the logic that sends the mail at the end to inform the status.
I did a test restore - it works. However, in the main screen, the last successful backup is not updated; it remains to the old value from the old Duplicati version.

So what is wrong? How can it be solved?

Update: I disabled the email warning functionality and now it works ok.
So indeed, the problem is in the email sending.
Can this be solved? I am running the backups in a scheduled way and it’s easier for me to follow this up via email than logging into the Nas.

Does below very-similar-looking (compare stack trace at top to yours) situation and solution help?
I don’t have a Synology, but there’s a forum volunteer who does (and might also suggest Docker).

How can I disable this without a running duplicati server?

Welcome to the forum @I.with

Can you clarify that? How do you have a crash after running backup in that case?
If you need to stop a backup that starts at start, use Stop after current file.
Regardless, Duplicati *should* be down if your Synology requires a mono update.
After that, you should have no need to disable anything. Please clarify situation…

thanks for your answere!

duplicati crashed when i initiated an update by the web frontend and could not be started again.
I tried the restart hours later, so i think duplicati immediately started an incremental backup with mail notification. Thus i had no chance to configure by the web frontend.

I finally could install a newer mono version, now duplicati is running again.

1 Like