Duplicate upgrade to 2.0.3.3_beta_2018-04-02 fails to start

I used the “Install” and “Activate” buttons at the bottom of the web page to upgrade to 2.0.3.3_beta_2018-04-02. The server quits, but never starts up again.

There is a crash log complaining about multiple instances:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Duplicati.Server.SingleInstance+MultipleInstanceException: Another instance is running, and was notified
 at Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain (System.String[] _args) [0x006f4] in <670b0e4a9ae144208688fcb192d20146>:0 
 at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod.InternalInvoke(System.Reflection.MonoMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
 at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00032] in <e36d106f4822473d8910305e5d059e11>:0 
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
 at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00048] in <e36d106f4822473d8910305e5d059e11>:0 
 at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <e36d106f4822473d8910305e5d059e11>:0 
 at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <9ce928d8db224e1f8330a80e119b5dbe>:0 

I started the duplicate-server manually and it is running, but I cannot start the duplicati app (the icon in the task bar) - it returns the error above. Any suggestions on how to recover from this error? I have not tried restarting to see if it clears the issue - yet…

Does the “Reboot requirements” section of the post below sound like what you are experiencing?

(By the way, I edited your post by adding “~~~” before and after the error message to make it easier to read.)

Well, the Reboot Requirements in that post specify Windows 10 and I’m on a Mac. I did try the reboot and it didn’t help. I’m trying the full download install to see if that fixes it…

Whoops - sorry about that. I should have asked rather than assumed… :blush:

Good luck with the “over-install”! :crossed_fingers:

Hi @meeker

Perhaps you’ve sorted this out, but I’d like to suggest there might be two issues reported.

At the top of the original post is that the Activate button frequently needs manual help.
Depending on the setup, this might be a known issue. I’m surprised at the few complaints.

At the bottom is that starting the server then starting the tray icon, produces an error.
This is normal. The tray icon runs an internal server unless one says –no-hosted-server.

Duplicati.Server.SingleInstance+MultipleInstanceException: Another instance is running, and was notified

appears on Linux (Duplicati/mono) and presumably on a Mac. Windows output doesn’t happen.
One gets silent disappearance of tray icon processes if one omits the --no-hosted-server.

This packaging works nicely for a tray icon situation (called /usr/bin/duplicati on Linux),
however more complex situations with a separate server must turn off the tray icon one.