"Data Error" Show button goes to wrong log

I just got this error “window” when running a local SFTP based backup:

Error while running My Backup
Data Error

Clicking the “Show” button takes me to the General job log which shows normal messages but no errors, however manually going to the main menu “About → Show Log → Stored” logs reveals a number of errors ending with this one:

Mar 9, 2018 10:39 AM: Failed while executing "Backup" with id: 4
SharpCompress.Compressors.LZMA.DataErrorException: Data Error
   at SharpCompress.Compressors.LZMA.LzmaStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
   at Duplicati.Library.Utility.Utility.ForceStreamRead(Stream stream, Byte[] buf, Int32 count)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Volumes.BlockVolumeReader.ReadBlock(String hash, Byte[] blockbuffer)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.CompactHandler.DoCompact(LocalDeleteDatabase db, Boolean hasVerifiedBackend, IDbTransaction& transaction, BackendManager sharedBackend)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.DeleteHandler.DoRun(LocalDeleteDatabase db, IDbTransaction& transaction, Boolean hasVerifiedBacked, Boolean forceCompact, BackendManager sharedManager)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.CompactIfRequired(BackendManager backend, Int64 lastVolumeSize)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run(String[] sources, IFilter filter)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.<>c__DisplayClass17_0.<Backup>b__0(BackupResults result)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.RunAction[T](T result, String[]& paths, IFilter& filter, Action`1 method)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.Backup(String[] inputsources, IFilter filter)
   at Duplicati.Server.Runner.Run(IRunnerData data, Boolean fromQueue)

The other errors are ThreadAbort and (I assume related) TextWriter errors such as:

Mar 9, 2018 9:21 AM: Reporting error gave error
System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot write to a closed TextWriter.
   at System.IO.__Error.WriterClosed()
   at System.IO.StreamWriter.Flush(Boolean flushStream, Boolean flushEncoder)
   at Duplicati.Server.WebServer.RESTHandler.DoProcess(RequestInfo info, String method, String module, String key)

So I’m wondering:

1. Is it possible for the notification to link to the appropriate log
  2. Since it appears some errors cause notifications and some don’t (meaning I’m guessing as to which error the notification is related), would it make sense to either auto-expand the notified error or at least include the error time with the notification?

For completeness I will say that there are two other topics showing this error, but in this case I’m asking about the general user experience - not the error itself.

Hello, I’m one of the folks who is linked in the post.

I have to agree that I was a bit puzzled when i was trying to diagnose this problem due to the odd way the logs are handled.

I do notice that each error does seem to have a unique “ID” and a key to the operations table.

select ld.id as "ld.id", ld.OperationID, o.Description, DATETIME(ld.timestamp,'unixepoch') as "Timestamp",
substr(ld.Message,0,25) || '...' as "Message", substr(ld.exception,0,25) || '...' as "Exception"
from 
	logdata ld
left join
	operation o on o.ID = ld.OperationID
where ld."Exception" is not null
	limit 10;
ld.id OperationID Description Timestamp Message Exception
1407 1167 Backup 2018-02-15 21:40:47 Failed to create a snaps… Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.Vs…
1408 1237 Backup 2018-02-15 22:45:05 Failed to create a snaps… Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.Vs…
1409 1370 Backup 2018-02-16 00:51:01 Failed to create a snaps… Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.Vs…
1410 1372 Backup 2018-02-16 00:54:15 Failed to create a snaps… Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.Vs…
1411 1373 Backup 2018-02-16 00:55:19 Failed to create a snaps… Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.Vs…
1412 1374 Backup 2018-02-16 00:56:32 Failed to create a snaps… Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.Vs…
1413 1375 Backup 2018-02-16 00:57:47 Failed to create a snaps… Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.Vs…
1414 1376 Backup 2018-02-16 00:58:57 Failed to create a snaps… Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.Vs…
1415 1377 Backup 2018-02-16 01:00:13 Failed to create a snaps… Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.Vs…
1416 1378 Backup 2018-02-16 01:01:27 Failed to create a snaps… Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.Vs…

So, it seems like the system should easily be able to do “where operationID=foo” and get all the errors associated with a specific issue.

(And, if I may expand on this suggestion,

• It would be nice if the error ID was included in the UI, however this might result in people posting in the forums “I got error 1407,” thinking that it’s a “type” of error.
  • Generally, I’m a bit unclear on which logs are stored where and what kind of events go in them. What is “Show Log > Stored” vs Home> Expand Backup > Show Log, they seem to be different.
  • The distinction between “General” and “remote” and “stored” and “live” also seems unclear. Where do the “live” logs go? If I navigate away the seem to vanish forever.
    )

Thanks

It sounds like the foundations for this may already be in the works. :smiley:

1 Like