Backup failing due to unexpected difference in fileset

Hi @ts678, I’m already on the Canary build, due to problems with getting the beta (the one including the warning) to work with MacOS Catalinas stricter file system permissions. In fact, I think the backup was created approximately at the time of the upgrade.

I suspect that the database got corrupted when I was recording in Logic Pro X while the backup was running. Logic deleted files that were candidate for backup, something like that, but I’m not sure.

I don’t know if you can refine “approximately”, but FWIW the issue that got fixed is actually introduced by a compact in the backup before it’s detected, and that’s probably true in general, i.e. it’s a pre-backup check.

Looking through your job logs for runs which actually seemed to do a compact (i.e. it shows statistics) can isolate when the problem was introduced. Or maybe it’s some other cause, e.g. your thought on recording:

If you can figure out how to cause some error reliably, posting steps here or on an issue (they get tracked) would let someone try to reproduce it on their own system for debugging and hopefully a code fix for issue.

Hi,

Yesterday I got the same error.

Unexpected difference in fileset version 4: 13/11/2019 00:35:32 (database id: 96), found 139629 entries, but expected 139630

I didn’t try to delete the version yet as i don’t really know how to, and i don’t want to mess with my data.

Or maybe should i try to update to a beta or experimental version as i’m still on the default one (2.0.4.23_beta_2019-07-14), and then maybe come back to the default version?

Any idea about what i should do?

Thanks

It is not too difficult to delete the offending version. Here’s a quick list of instructions:

In the Duplicati Web interface, click your backup to expand all the options. Click “Commandline …” and change the dropdown to “delete”. Scroll to the bottom of the page and in the “Add advanced option” box, choose “version”. Type the number “4” in the version field to delete the version causing your issue and then click the “Run ‘delete’ command” button at the bottom of the page.

Upgrading to the latest canary won’t solve this problem in of itself, as far as I know. You still have to delete the offending version. But running the newer canary version should prevent this problem from happening again.

Note that if you do decide to go to the newest canary version, you cannot easily go back to the beta version you are running now. This is because the database schemas are changed. You would be able to switch back to the beta channel at the next beta release though.

1 Like

It worked! Thanks

Do i really need to install the canary? Is the move worth it? I’m scared that it will not be stable, i mean this message “Not for use with important data.” worries me.

Nope, you can stay on the version you are currently running. You may have this problem again, though, but in my experience I was able to resolve it each time by deleting the offending version.

Yep I understand. In general I would not recommend Canary releases for normal production use as it can have bleeding edge changes that are not well-tested. But the current 2.0.4.34 version is getting close to being promoted to Experimental/Beta channels, and works better than the latest beta release for most people.

There is only one known notable issue that is holding up the promotion to experimental/beta and it has to do with using the Stop command in the middle of a backup. Note that the latest beta also has a problem with that command.

Personally I never use that function so it didn’t worry me. I currently have 2.0.4.34 on all my production machines but I intend to go back to the beta channel on most of them once the next one is released.

Totally up to you of course!

makes me point to a similar concern for probably the same problem

See After update to latest beta, backups broken for my reply which is basically that canary varies, but you can keep an eye on them. Sometimes they’re on the verge of Beta, like now, sometimes far away. You can also test a canary in better or worse ways, and you can revert back to Beta channel and wait. Eventually a genuine fixed Beta should emerge (I sincerely hope – not seeing much progress though).

Beta for me was extremely unreliable due to “Unexpected difference in fileset” up until the 2.0.4.22 fix whose description points to a workaround if other old beta bugs don’t bother you and you have space:

–no-auto-compact added in Options → Advanced options then checkmarked will avoid compact bugs.