After update to latest beta, backups broken

None are perfect, but neither is beta. Release: 2.0.4.34 (canary) 2019-11-05 has the best Catalina support and is looking good after two weeks except for GUI stop button somewhat-hidden damage. Safest plan is to just not use the stop button. It was broken in current beta too, but fix added issues.

Upgrades are generally a smooth ride, but see earlier post about downgrade difficulty. Start slowly, testing less important backups first. Per-backup files are (I think) not updated until you use backup.

If you think this Canary is doing well. you can change Settings back to Beta channel to avoid worse Canary releases (or they could be better – one never knows). Keep an eye on releases coming out.

If you want to give specifics, I might be able to point to specific fixes that Canary has but Beta lacks. There is currently a lot of desire for another Beta, after it’s determined what to do about stop button.

EDIT:

Although I don’t know what other things you’re seeing, a big one for me (and your original post) was:

“Unexpected difference in fileset” test case and code clue #3800 whose fix first appeared in release

v2.0.4.22-2.0.4.22_canary_2019-06-30

Fixed data corruption caused by compacting, thanks @ts678 and @warwickmm

but there are a number of other known reliability fixes, plus known stop button issues, plus unknowns.