Backup Duplication, Sync, Auto Start, Encryption

I have discovered that Duplicati is the most reliable application for managing data on my Linux workstation. After using it for nearly two months with the Ubuntu Linux version, I successfully connected it to my Google Drive account, and the scheduled backups worked flawlessly.

However, I would like to offer a few suggestions if they are welcome:

1. Improving Backup Duplication
    I’ve noticed that Duplicati backs up all the data that has already been synchronized to the cloud drive, rather than only backing up files that haven’t been backed up or those that have been modified. Consequently, this consumes more internet data and takes up unnecessary space in the cloud. It would be great if there were an option to address this issue.

2. Enhancing Backup Synchronization
    Currently, when a file is modified or new files are added to the destination folder, Duplicati doesn’t sync them immediately. Instead, it waits for the scheduled backups to run or requires manual initiation. To make the backups more efficient, it would be beneficial if the app could detect new changes made to local files and take the necessary actions accordingly.

3. Auto Start on System Startup
    Using Ubuntu, I’ve observed that Duplicati doesn’t start working automatically when I power on my PC, even when I’m connected to the internet. Every time, I have to manually start or open the program for it to commence operations. This situation raises concern because if I forget to activate it, any changes made throughout the day or week will not be backed up. It would be convenient if the app could automatically initiate during system startup.

4. Customization of Backup Encryption
    While encrypted backup files provide excellent security, I suggest allowing users to choose whether or not to password protect their backups. For instance, some individuals may desire to backup document folders to Google Drive while also accessing those files from mobile devices. However, accessing these encrypted and zipped files on a mobile device can be challenging. Similarly, if I use Duplicati to back up video and audio files to my network-attached storage accessible by other media viewers like TVs on the same network, it becomes difficult to view those compressed files. Therefore, it would be helpful to provide an option for users to decide whether or not to password protect their backups.

Thank you for your dedication and efforts in developing Duplicati

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Aubm

Features

Incremental backups
Duplicati performs a full backup initially. Afterwards, Duplicati updates the initial backup by adding the changed data only.

Processing similar data in How the backup process works explains. Please detail, if you see otherwise.

Overview

Duplicati is not:

• A file synchronization program.
    Duplicati is a block based backup solution. Files are split up in small chunks of data (blocks), which are optionally encrypted and compressed before they are sent to the backup location. In backup location, Duplicati uploads not original files but files that contain blocks of original files and other necessary data that allows Duplicati to restore stored files to its original form by restoration process. This block based backup system allows features like file versioning and deduplication. If you need to be able to access your files directly from the backup location, you will need file synchronization software, not block based backup software like Duplicati.

Feature request seems unlikely (to me) as the backup process (see above) uses discrete backup times.

Installing Duplicati on Linux

Enable, start and check running status of the duplicati service:

sudo systemctl enable duplicati.service
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl start duplicati.service  
sudo systemctl status duplicati.service

but what you might really mean is you’d rather get direct copies. That’s a totally different program.
It would also prevent most of the Features (please look). It’s the wrong direction for deduplication.

Dont createnmultiple files called volumes says more, with a comment from the interim maintainer:

Thank you. It has been a long effort by many, starting in 2008 for Duplicati and 2012 for Duplicati 2.
Major redesigns such as some of these suggest are very unlikely. Let’s get Duplicati 2 finished first.

1 Like

Thanks for the support,
You have explained very well

2 Likes