Alphevss.x64.dll

Hello,
Im getting a warning in my backup job at the end.

Warnings:
    2018-11-19 12:54:31 +02 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler-SnapshotFailed]: Failed to create a snapshot: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'AlphaVSS .x64.dll 'or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found.
File name: 'AlphaVSS.x64.dll'
   In System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile (String path, Evidence evidence)
   In System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile (String path)
   In Duplicati.Library.Common.IO.VssBackupComponentsHelper.CreateVssBackupComponents ()
   In Duplicati.Library.Common.IO.VssBackupComponentsHelper.GetVssBackupComponents ()
   In Duplicati.Library.Snapshots.WindowsSnapshot.ctor (IEnumerable`1 sources, IDictionary`2 options)
   In Duplicati.Library.Snapshots.SnapshotUtility.CreateWindowsSnapshot (IEnumerable`1 folders, Dictionary`2 options)
   In Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.GetSnapshot (String [] sources, Options options)

Its a clean install and the files are present in the “Alphevss” folder, and i preformed an installation of Visual c++ 2017 and 2015 and still no luck.

Please assist and thanks

Most likely some native component is missing. Try using a tool such as Dependencies a follower for the non-maintained DependencyWalker.

If you try to open AlphaVSS.x64.dll and you should see the missing dependencies.

Thanks, sorry for my ignorance but i am not that familiar on how to diagnose the dll file, is there any link to guidelines that can assist me to understand on how to recognize the missing dependencies?

UPDATE : i installed the “DependencyWalker” for a more friendly understanding of the problem and i noticed that i have ton of error with files like “API-MS-WIN-CORE-REGISTRY-L2-1-0.DLL”

I assume that the Dependencies tool will mark stuff that is missing in red or in another easily identifiable way.

A quick search on that file says that it is part of Windows 10, so it could just be a false positive from DependencyWalker.

Can you post a screenshot?

Of course

My best guess is that the errors from DependencyWalker are just related to a new loading mechanism that it does not understand, aka false positives.

Unfortunately, that means that we are no closer to figuring out why it fails to load. Can you check the Windows EventLog and see if there are hints there?