Duplicati as a service in Windows 10

Is this your initial Duplicati install? I’ve had some odd problems on my msi install unless the old version was uninstalled before the new install. Generally it’s been missing files, but maybe it could cause something like you’re seeing, however you’re apparently seeing a different message now. The one for “help” is sometimes interpreted to mean running a 64 bit program on a 32 bit OS, and the original seems to be saying that the opposite mismatch exists. I’m not an authority on this topic – just going by what I can dig up on the Internet.

If you haven’t already, please do an uninstall and reinstall from .msi. I assume that’s from www.duplicati.com and is intact. A right-click Properties on it should show a Digicert digital signature for Kenneth Skovhede.

Because Duplicati.CommandLine.exe runs OK (or at least better), let’s compare system-info. Mine starts:

C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2>Duplicati.CommandLine.exe system-info
Duplicati: Duplicati.CommandLine, Version=2.0.4.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null (Duplicati.Library.Main, Version=2.0.4.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null)
Autoupdate urls: https://updates.duplicati.com/beta/latest.manifest;https://alt.updates.duplicati.com/beta/latest.manifest
Update folder: C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\updates
Base install folder: C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2
Version name: "2.0.4.5_beta_2018-11-28" (2.0.4.5)
Current Version folder C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\updates\2.0.4.5
Uname:
64bit: True (True)
Machinename: HP4
Processors: 4
.Net Version: 4.0.30319.42000

The ProgramData appearances are probably from my %DUPLICATI_HOME% but other info should be similar.

Sysinternals Process Explorer can show you the Image type (32-bit or 64-bit) of whatever processes are up, and Sysinternals Process Monitor can filter on Duplicati.WindowsService.exe to see how far it goes before the problem causes failure. Mine goes over 16,000 lines on a successful “help” command. Interpreting the output isn’t something I’m expert enough to do, but possibly you can see something going wrong leading to the fail…

This links to Dependency Walker and Dependencies. Possibly the (presumably) static analysis will give clues.

I’m stopping short of having you run a debugger, but if you’re into that kind of depth, it might show something.

Some of the Internet solutions for this involved uninstalling and reinstalling C++ components, but there was a report of other problems caused, which I probably can’t do much to fix. You can search and try as you see fit.

This ought to just work, AFAIK. I haven’t been able to get it on my system, and yours seems the first report… Sorry this isn’t going anywhere definite. It seems rather odd to me. Maybe someone else will have a thought.