Which folders/files take up how much space in backup?

Dear all,

I have been using Duplicati for more than 2.5 years and am in general very happy.

One of my backups consumes about 65 GB whereas the actual files take up only about 30 GB and do not change much or often.

Apparently, the backup contains files that are not part of the actual files any more and maybe I would be willing to purge the backup of those files to free some space.

In order to do so I would need to find out which folders or files account for which amount of space in my backup. At the end of the day I am looking for something like a du command to run on my backup.

Is there a way within Duplicati to accomplish this?

Thank you very much and with regards,
Airhead

Hello and welcome to the forum!

This is possible. What are your current retention settings?

Hi drwtsn32,

thanks for your reply. I purposfully have a very long retention setting: 4W:1D,6M:1W,2Y:1M,5Y:6M

Airhead

Yes, so files that have been deleted from your source will still be on the back end because of your retention settings. Is that not what you want? Are you asking if there’s a way to remove deleted files from older backup versions?

Hi drwtsn32,

thanks for your further thoughts.

Indeed, I want to remove files from older backup versions. To do this, I need to find out which files in those older backup versions take up a lot of space. Basically, I am looking for an equivalent of the Linux du command to run on my Duplicati backup.

Thanks,
Airhead

What OS is this, and how complex is backup configuration for source paths, excludes, and filters?
If setup is simple and you’re on Linux, just run the du command to get the largest source file areas. Depending on the files, compression and deduplication (especially exact dupes) may throw this off.

There’s no complete equivalent of typical OS-specific file space tools, but you can study file sizes.
With added scripting, you can probably get totals as you wish, but find command might be simpler.

Visualize backup data usage is the feature request for a nice graphical view and what to do for now.
Backend quota is close to being exceeded gets into that a bit, but also looks at next step of a purge.

Hi ts678,

thank you. A combination of find and compare has helped me find out which files account for a lot of storage in my backup. Some of them I do not need anymore. I have purged them now.

Thanks again,
Airhead

2 Likes