What should happen when aborting a job?

What should happen when aborting a job? I forgot to change a paramter in the the copied job, that’s why I aborted the running job. I expected the remote files to be deleted. Since this didn’t happen I deleted them manually. Which was probably wrong because when I tried running it again (after the intended changes to the config completed) I got an error “Found 4 files that are missing from the remote storage, please run repair”. Sure - these were the ones I deleted. Following the advise I tried to run “repair”. This ended in “Got 2 errors”. The only new log file line however said “removing file listed as Temporary: duplicati-20171214T104141Z.dlist.zip.aes”.
When I tried a second time to run the job again it came back with only “2 files that are missing from the remote storage, please run repair”.
Repair again aborted with “Got 2 errors” referring to the same “2 files missing”.
==> in summary: the job doesn’t run any more and repair fails - bummer.

There are two ways Duplicati aborts a job - “Stop after upload” and “Stop now”.

If you “Stop after upload” then what has already been backed up to the destination is left there and the next time the job runs it will not re-backup the already completed files.

If you “Stop now” then you’ll have partially prepped files locally and potentially a partially uploaded file on the destination (and you’ll also get a “thread abort” error in your logs which is safe to ignore).

So on a normal re-run I would expect that Duplicati would detect and clean up the local temp and any partially uploaded destination files. But the manually deleted destination files would be considered missing and Duplicati would assume something has gone wrong with the destination.

I believe what you need is to use the “Recreate (delete and repair)” button which should rebuild the database solely from what files exist on the destination - even if there are none.

If that doesn’t work then you’ll probably want to export the job to a file, delete the job, then import the exported job. This will reset all the database stuff as if it were a newly created job and as long as your destination is empty it will be like you started from scratch.