Warnings on back ups

Hi Guys,

Thanks for a great app. I have recently moved Home Assistant from HA OS to a docker container and I’m using duplicati to back up this and other containers.

Ity has been running fine for a few weeks but started receiving some warnings a few days ago. I have pasted it below.

The backup appears to be correct and they are warnings not errors. Should I be concerned? any suggestions on how to fix it?

2023-01-15 13:40:51 +00 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: /source/home/peter/DockerVolumes/mosquitto/data/mosquitto.db

2023-01-15 13:41:20 +00 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: /source/home/peter/DockerVolumes/teslamate/teslamate-db/pg_logical/replorigin_checkpoint

2023-01-15 13:41:28 +00 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: /source/home/peter/DockerVolumes/teslamate/teslamate-db/pg_stat_tmp/global.stat

2023-01-15 13:41:28 +00 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: /source/home/peter/DockerVolumes/teslamate/teslamate-db/pg_stat_tmp/db_0.stat

2023-01-15 13:41:28 +00 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: /source/home/peter/DockerVolumes/teslamate/teslamate-db/pg_stat_tmp/db_16384.stat

2023-01-15 13:42:47 +00 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: /source/home/peter/DockerVolumes/homeassistant/.cloud/production_auth.json

2023-01-15 13:42:56 +00 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: /source/home/peter/DockerVolumes/homeassistant/.storage/auth

2023-01-15 13:42:56 +00 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: /source/home/peter/DockerVolumes/homeassistant/.storage/google.604c1d062295a2fd7b9c83ca92827

My personal viewpoint is if “google.604c1d062295a2fd7b9c83ca92827” is important to you or not? To me its probably going to be zero importance lol.

You could just ignore the folder if there’s nothing in there that you want “/source/home/peter/DockerVolumes/homeassistant/.storage”. Of course, if the path no longer exists etc then you might want to ignore it or something up further like “/source/home/peter/DockerVolumes/homeassistant/” anyway.

All you have to do is look at each as determine if its important to you and go and look if it exists or not, etc :slight_smile:

Duplicati may also fail to backup files sometimes for certain applications if they are open and have locked the files. But, this here seems more like a folder doesn’t exist anymore and its still in the Duplicati DB.

You can also do some other way such as simply deleting the DB and all remote files manually then doing a full clean backup to clean out old paths in the DB. It can still happen on others going forward.

1 Like

Job log summary due to exception should also include exception summary #4843
was filed asking for another line of information. Without it, the cause isn’t seen, so

About → Show log → Live → Warning might be able to get them. Click any issues.

Old paths in the DB shouldn’t be an issue, but fast-vanishing files could be, so you
could look at them at warning to see if they’re still there or are gone for you as well.

Locking is more of a problem on Windows. Fortunately Windows can also use VSS.

EDIT:

When looking at files by hand, use whatever user Duplicati is, to check permissions.
If you’d rather get a long-term view of what warnings are coming out of the backups,
log-file=<path> should capture errors and warnings, including some details on them.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I’m still pretty new to Linux so really appreciate the help. I think the problem is with ownership. I’m creating all docker containers using portainer stacks, so docker compose files and
have PUID =1000 and PGID=1000 under environment: for all the services, but for some reason teslamate keeps creating the influxdb database in a directory with the owner system-coredump

The surprising thing is that duplicati apears to still be backing them up despite the warnings.

I have changed the ownership of that directory, but it seems Teslamate still wants to create some file with a strange owner!

I’ll try a restore and see if it works

I tried deteting the database but was still getting permissioning errors. It seem Teslamate-db has root permissions. I chaged duplicati to root permission with

environment:
  - PUID=0
  - PGID=0

in the stack and that seems to fix it.

I am aware that it is bad protocol to hand out root permissions but only solution I found.

1 Like

I had the same problem, and this was the only solution