Warning Box Backend Error

Hello all,
I’m doing some of my backups to the Box cloud storage (www.box.com). I get often the following warning after a backup:
2020-03-15 13:00:20 +01 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Backend.Box.BoxBackend-BoxErrorParser]: Failed to parse error from Box
The backup of the data and also restore looks okay, though.
Can I also simply ignore this warning or could it lead to problems later on?

I forgot to mention that I’m using version 2.0.5.1_beta_2020-01-18 on a Windows 10 Pro machine.
Here is some more information from the log:
16. Mrz. 2020 13:01: HTTP Response: 201 - Created: {"username":"username","ip":"99.152.199.99","backupsetname":"Dokumente ZBOX","deletedFiles":"0","deletedFolders":"0","modifiedFiles":"0","examinedFiles":"5434","openedFiles":"0","addedFiles":"0","sizeOfModifiedFiles":"0","sizeOfAddedFiles":"0","sizeOfExaminedFiles":"1947206274","sizeOfOpenedFiles":"0","notProcessedFiles":"0","addedFolders":"0","tooLargeFiles":"0","filesWithError":"0","modifiedFolders":"0","modifiedSymlinks":"0","addedSymlinks":"0","deletedSymlinks":"0","partialBackup":0,"dryrun":0,"mainOperation":"Backup","parsedResult":"Warning","version":"2.0.5.1 (2.0.5.1_beta_2020-01-18)","endTime":"2020-03-16 13:01:11","beginTime":"2020-03-16 13:00:00","duration":"00:01:11.4618831","log":"\r\n2020-03-16 13:00:22 +01 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Backend.Box.BoxBackend-BoxErrorParser]: Failed to parse error from Box\r\nNewtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path '', line 0, position 0.\r\nbei Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseValue()\r\nbei Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader.ReadForType(JsonContract contract, Boolean hasConverter)\r\nbei Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, Boolean checkAdditionalContent)\r\nbei Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.DeserializeInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType)\r\nbei Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject(String value, Type type, JsonSerializerSettings settings)\r\nbei Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject[T](String value, JsonSerializerSettings settings)\r\nbei Duplicati.Library.Backend.Box.BoxBackend.BoxHelper.ParseException(Exception ex)\r\n2020-03-16 13:00:33 +01 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Backend.Box.BoxBackend-BoxErrorParser]: Failed to parse error from Box\r\nNewtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path '', line 0, position 0.\r\nbei Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseValue()\r\nbei Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader.ReadForType(JsonContract contract, Boolean hasConverter)\r\nbei Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, Boolean checkAdditionalContent)\r\nbei Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.DeserializeInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType)\r\nbei Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject(String value, Type type, JsonSerializerSettings settings)\r\nbei Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject[T](String value, JsonSerializerSettings settings)\r\nbei Duplicati.Library.Backend.Box.BoxBackend.BoxHelper.ParseException(Exception ex)","result":"Warning","backupset_id":15860,"updated_at":"2020-03-16 13:01:11","created_at":"2020-03-16 13:01:11","id":5116797}

I also created a log capturing Warnings from Box.com. I’m using the same version you are, except on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I get the same error:

2020-05-06 22:00:16 -04 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Backend.Box.BoxBackend-BoxErrorParser]: Failed to parse error from Box
Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path ‘’, line 0, position 0.
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseValue () [0x002b3] in :0
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.Read () [0x0004c] in :0
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader.ReadAndMoveToContent () [0x00000] in :0
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader.ReadForType (Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonContract contract, System.Boolean hasConverter) [0x0004a] in :0
at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType, System.Boolean checkAdditionalContent) [0x000db] in :0
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.DeserializeInternal (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType) [0x00054] in :0
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.Deserialize (Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReader reader, System.Type objectType) [0x00000] in :0
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject (System.String value, System.Type type, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializerSettings settings) [0x0002d] in :0
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject[T] (System.String value, Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializerSettings settings) [0x00000] in :0
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject[T] (System.String value) [0x00000] in :0
at Duplicati.Library.Backend.Box.BoxBackend+BoxHelper.ParseException (System.Exception ex) [0x0007d] in <5e179c0a25f4477cb070f85347eca227>:0

It seems to be benign in that my backups complete, verify, and can recover files if needed. However, these build up over time if not dealt with.

I’ve exactly the same error, with version 2.0.7.1_beta.
Did you find any workaround for this?

@lbit

I tried a test account and it worked fine. So either:

• this is a random network error
  • OR the path you selected is somehow special
    or both.

The error handling code seems weird though. It seems to hide the problem origin, making it impossible to fix it. If you can repro the problem reliably, and are ready to test an experimental version, I could try to build something to expose more clearly the problem by adding more debugging code.

Thanks for looking at this. If it helps any, this reminded me of fix below, except fix was in 2.0.5.106.

Improved errors from Json source, thanks @kenkendk

Improved error messages for non-json errors #4195 PR which got referenced by some other things.

I have reopened 4283 to acknowledge that 2 persons have complained about it.