Volume Shadow Copy For Open / Locked Files

Hello, I have enabled VSS and am still getting errors on my backup sets for open / locked files. Can you assist me in getting this figured out? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

For VSS to work you must run Duplicati with elevated rights.

There are a few ways to do this. Instead of having Duplicati run in your startup group, you could configure it to run as a service. You may want to tie this service to your user account so that it uses the same configuration you’ve already set up (backup sets, options, etc).

Or a simpler option may be to edit the shortcut in the Startup folder. Go to Properties, click Advanced (on the Shortcut tab), and check the “Run as administrator” box. Note that this does present a UAC popup at logon.

A third option is to use Task Scheduler to launch Duplicati at time of logon. You can have it run elevated without a UAC prompt this way.

I tried the properties / tic box in advanced to run as administrator… Still getting errors. I am trying to backup an mdf database. Here are the errors I am receiving.

Warnings 5
2020-08-17 23:24:23 -05 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler-SnapshotFailed]: Failed to create a snapshot: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation. at Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents…ctor() at Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssImplementation.CreateVssBackupComponents() at Duplicati.Library.Common.IO.VssBackupComponentsHelper.GetVssBackupComponents() at Duplicati.Library.Snapshots.WindowsSnapshot…ctor(IEnumerable1 sources, IDictionary2 options) at Duplicati.Library.Snapshots.SnapshotUtility.CreateWindowsSnapshot(IEnumerable1 folders, Dictionary2 options) at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.GetSnapshot(String sources, Options options)
2020-08-17 23:25:13 -05 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.MetadataGenerator.Metadata-MetadataProcessFailed]: Failed to process metadata for “C:\Wintac\GlobalViewWintac.mdf”, storing empty metadata
2020-08-17 23:25:13 -05 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.MetadataGenerator.Metadata-MetadataProcessFailed]: Failed to process metadata for “C:\Wintac\GlobalViewWintac_log.ldf”, storing empty metadata
2020-08-17 23:25:13 -05 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: C:\Wintac\GlobalViewWintac.mdf
2020-08-17 23:25:13 -05 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: C:\Wintac\GlobalViewWintac_log.ldf

This did work successfully on one of my systems that is running Microsoft Outlook. I was getting errors about the PST and now it is working so thank you very much for this. However still getting this strange metadata error on the mdf database file backup…

Sounds like it is still not running elevated. Did you restart Duplicati after making that change to the icon properties, or at least log off/log back on?

I think I restarted the system afterward but I can’t say for certain. I will check on this and try again.

I don’t have any MDFs, but i was getting the same kind of errors on PST and QBW files before I installed M/S Visual C++ 2015-2019 (either 32 or 64bit as appropriate). I also run duplicati as a service under the ‘local’ system account and set the shadow service option to ‘required’.

I think it is working… I have been monitoring it for a few days now and after rebooting the server it has been going for a few days now. I have the MSVC 64 installed and have just been changing to run as admin under the icon in startup…

I am curious how to ensure Duplicati to run as a service under local system account? Must I do the process of setting up a windows task for this? Please detail how to do this as I think it will be helpful. And thank you very much for your assistance.