Using the Glacier Storage Option

Hello,

In all other help files it seems to simply say Duplicati doesn’t have support for Glacier, but there was clearly an option for the storage class when I started my backup so I selected it. The backup ran fine until the end, when it said there were three errors. The errors appear to have been test operations (and the result was they weren’t valid for the storage class, obviously).

Is there any reason to believe the backup didn’t actually run properly?That I wouldn’t be able to restore from it if I wanted to? Or do I have to thaw it myself to find out?

I don’t have an answer to your question, but it may be worth noting that some other providers have hot storage for almost the same cost as Amazon Glacier (which is $0.004/GB/mo I believe).

Backblaze B2 is $0.005/GB/mo
Wasabi is $0.0049/GB/mo (and no egress costs)

Just something to consider if Glacier isn’t working for you!

I am very interested in that as well, but so far I have not been able to use it. I am considering the move to another storage provider as some of them do have lower prices for hot storage.

I think the challenge with Glacier is that you can’t change the storage class your self (meaning Duplicati won’t be able to change it on your behalf). You can only do it with a lifecycle policy in S3 that will automatically change the storage class based on some criteria.
Once stuff does go to Glacier, I believe it will disappear from Duplicati’s point of view so you will get an error or at least a warning. There may be an option that allows Duplicati to run without verifying the back-end, however, I still haven’t had a chance to research and test this and it doesn’t really sound like a good idea anyway.