Upgrade From Beta

I’m currently running Beta version 2.0.2.1_beta_2017-08-01 as a service. I’m considering upgrading to v2.0.2.15-2.0.2.15_experimental_2018-01-03 . The main feature I’m looking for is “Faster browsing of files to restore”.

Is it “safe” to upgrade:

• Is 2.15 stable enough?
  • Can I upgrade in place without affecting my local backup configuration?
  • Any breaking changes or other upgrade issues in moving to another stream (beta => experimental/Canary)?
  • Can I just stop the service, install the MSI and restart the service?

I upgraded a few of my machines from 2.0.2.1 to 2.0.2.15. On the Windows machines I tried just running the installer for 2.0.2.15. It appeared to remove the old version and install the new. However, it would not start correctly. Found out that when I did an upgrade over 2.0.2.1 a required DLL was not installed. I ended up having to uninstall Duplicati manually then install 2.0.2.15 again.

The backup configuration remained in-tact. And yes I am now able to browse files MUCH faster. I also like the new advanced retention policy feature.

No problems so far with 2.0.2.15…

Thanks for sharing your experience. I followed @kenkendk’s advice and changed the channel to Canary and then installed the update via the web interface. No issues on Windows 10 Home: config was good, no errors, and restore file browsing is super fast slow but usable.

Just a quick note - one potential issue with an downlad-and-install (unlike using the built in update) is that shortcuts (at least in Windows) are rebuilt from scratch.

This means that if you had any custom parameters (such as --no-hosted-server on the Tray Icon shortcut) you will have to manually re-add those.

1 Like

Yes, that can be an issue when re-installing the package.
For this reason, if the built-in updater doesn’t work, it’s better to overwrite the Duplicati program folder with the contents of the Zip file version, instead of using the installer.

1 Like