"Unexpected number of remote volumes detected: 0!"-error

Thanks for reopening that issue :slight_smile:

About the null-object reference, I think I have collected some additional information. Sometimes sqlite3 throws an ‘disk i/o error’ (not to be confused with a general ‘i/o error’), and this is the actual stacktrace:

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Reset(SQLiteStatement stmt)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Step(SQLiteStatement stmt)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader.NextResult()
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader..ctor(SQLiteCommand cmd, CommandBehavior behave)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteTransaction.Commit()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.AddBlockToOutput(BackendManager backend, String key, Byte[] data, Int32 offset, Int32 len, CompressionHint hint, Boolean isBlocklistData) in C:\Users\maarten\source\repos\duplicati\Duplicati\Library\Main\Operation\BackupHandler.cs:line 1280
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.ProcessStream(Stream stream, CompressionHint hint, BackendManager backend, FileBackedStringList blocklisthashes, FileBackedStringList hashcollector, Boolean skipfilehash) in C:\Users\maarten\source\repos\duplicati\Duplicati\Library\Main\Operation\BackupHandler.cs:line 1177
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.HandleFilesystemEntry(ISnapshotService snapshot, BackendManager backend, String path, FileAttributes attributes) in C:\Users\maarten\source\repos\duplicati\Duplicati\Library\Main\Operation\BackupHandler.cs:line 1064

Because in BackupHandler.cs on line 1273 we close the block-writer, we also dispose the m_compression handler. Because the commit() fails, we don’t have any way to compress blocks anymore, but our exception handler just handles it like a temporary error even though the internal state is slightly broken at that point.

After this error, m_compression of BlockVolumeWriter.cs is null which will start generating the null-object reference exceptions.

So I think we have two issues:

1. The error in this case is irrecoverable the way we code is currently written. I think we might be better of making the exception handler of HandleFileSystemEntry be a bit more specific (eg: catch UnauthorizedAccessException explicitly and perhaps other errors as well) and if we get an unknown error, perhaps just close down the backup and exit as it is unreliable at that part?

2. Because this error happens very irregulary, I suspect some sort of race-condition in accessing SQLite library perhaps? When I try to interpret the code, I see we lock in FlushDbMessages but we only lock a single statement if I understand correctly – could it be that we are committing twice because of a race?