Unable to connect to neither AWS S3 bucket nor AWS Glacier

I am new to Duplicati, and tried to connect to AWS, first to Glacier Vault and then to S3 Bucket. Neither was successful, and I think some instructions are needed:

1. When I select Storage Class GLACIER, it still asks for a bucket name (Glacier uses Vaults, not buckets), insists that the bucket name must be low-case (not true for vaults) and when I do Test Connection I am getting the message Access Key ID “does not exists in our (??) records”.

2. To access AWS S3/Glacier I created a separate user and then generated Access Key and Secret key for that user with permission to access S3/Glacier. What is AWS Access ID on the Backup Destination form for S3? Is it the AWS user name? Or the Access Key generated for the user? I tried both, but nothing seems to work.

If someone has experience using Duplicati with AWS Glacier (preferred) or S3, please tell me what do you enter on Backup destination form, where Username, Access Key and Secret Key are supposed to go.

Welcome to the forum @calmforce

No AWS or Glacier here, but I’ll try anyway. If somebody expert sees this, join in…

Automatically copy your Amazon S3 Glacier vault archives to an S3 bucket and storage classes (AWS)

Important

Amazon S3 and Amazon S3 Glacier are different AWS services.

Amazon S3 Glacier is an object storage service for low-cost data archiving and long-term backup. It stores archives in vaults. It doesn’t offer storage classes.

Amazon S3 is an object storage service for any type of data. It stores objects in buckets. It offers different storage classes

S3 Compatible is what Duplicati supports, and it uses these things:

--aws-access-key-id The AWS “Access Key ID” can be obtained after logging into your AWS account, this can also be supplied through the auth-username property.

--aws-secret-access-key The AWS “Secret Access Key” can be obtained after logging into your AWS account, this can also be supplied through the auth-password property.

--s3-storage-class Use this option to specify a storage class. If this option is not used, the server will choose a default storage class.

which in the GUI screen are presumably AWS Access ID, AWS Access Key, Storage class respectively. AWS Access Key is the more secret part, and shows asterisks when entered. Access ID is less secret.

Managing access keys for IAM users (AWS)

Access keys consist of two parts: an access key ID (for example, AKIAIOSFODNN7EXAMPLE) and a secret access key (for example, wJalrXUtnFEMI/K7MDENG/bPxRfiCYEXAMPLEKEY). You must use both the access key ID and secret access key together to authenticate your requests

Using Amazon S3 storage classes (AWS) describes the wide variety available. Duplicati works best with storage that is hot storage rather than cold storage which would need an extra retrieval action to access. Naming in AWS is a bit confusing, for example S3 Glacier Instant Retrieval is hot storage despite Glacier.

If you mean Amazon S3 Glacier, that’s the legacy service that (I think) almost nobody supports nowadays. Setup should revolve around Amazon S3, and the storage class of choice (but cold storage has caveats).